What's new

Check system light came on today - and stayed on!

rob141274

Members
Reaction score
Car
2.2 i-cdti sport
Hi guys,

Hoping you may be able to help? Before I describe the problem I will say I had the car serviced last Friday at a non main dealer garage near me who put 05w30 c3 oil in the car, I only drove it home and back to the garage (less than a mile) as I got them to change it to 0w30.

Anyway mat be completely unrelated to the above but drove the car a handful of times since? Today I have done two short runs both less than a mile so car had even started to warm up on both occasions. On the second trip I got back in and started the car and the check system light came on, and the car had very low power, I drove back to the garage who serviced it but they weren't there but when I started the car to come home the check system light came back on but the car seemed to have its power back?

Any ideas? Should I be worried? I have to drive over to my parents on Boxing Day and not sure whether it will be safe to drive?

Thanks for any advice and Merry a christmas to all.

Did they do your fuel filter as part of the service? Often non-genuine or insufficiently bled filters give a light and lack of power (limp mode).

Can you give us all the details of the service and what parts were changed.

Hi,

Thanks for your replies.

It was a minor service and the job ticket is for the following:

oil filter,
complete engine flush,
fuel system cleaner,
brake cleaner
oil.

Should I be worried? I have to drive over to my parents on Boxing Day and not sure whether it will be safe to drive?
Obviously it is a concern, but it won't be unsafe to drive. If the ECU records a severe fault code, then the engine stops and will not restart (I've just had this issue a few days ago, but now fixed).

Do you know anyone with an OBD2 reader who can read the ECU code for you?

Could driving it damage anything though do you think?

Think I'm going to go back to the garage Monday (if there open) and try and put it down to the wrong oil to get them to read it?

Can but try, but other than that no I don't know anyone I'm afraid.

Could driving it damage anything though do you think?

Think I'm going to go back to the garage Monday (if there open) and try and put it down to the wrong oil to get them to read it?

Can but try, but other than that no I don't know anyone I'm afraid.
It is unlikely that you'll cause any damage, as the ECU would shut down the engine before that happened. Which might be inconvenient?

It won't have been the oil... 5w30 is an acceptable alternative grade for the i-CTDi, just not the most ideal. Maybe the garage knocked something while changing the oil, but I'm grasping at straws!

It seems reasonable to ask the garage to read the code, as the 'fault' only appeared after they worked on it.

Well there is no harm in asking, they may say no, or want a ridiculous fee for a minutes work,

Think I might buy one after Christmas, are any better than others, you can get them for about £20 off the bay are they any good?

Thanks again for the advice

I got mine from eBay... it's a D900, like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Any-Car-Engine-Fault-Diagnostic-Scanner-Code-Reader-OBD-OBD2-OBDII-CAN-BUS-D900-/190765185600?pt=UK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item2c6a7dba40

All OBD2 readers will read and clear ECU codes and explain in english what the generic codes mean, but you sometimes get manufacturer-specific codes which you have to look up on websites like this one... http://www.permoveo.ltd.uk/tabid/122/OBD-Error-Code/P1644/Diagnostics/Honda/Default.aspx or maybe a TA forum search or google search. Like many, the D900 will also give 'live' data such as engine temp, mass air flow, manifold absolute pressure, etc, etc.

Well worth owning your own reader, imo. I reckon most TA members have their own

Thanks for the advice Jon.

Have just bought the unit you recommended off of the bay.

Still taking it to the garage Monday though, just hope it's nothing serious!.....

Thanks,

And all the best over the festive period, as I said really appreciate the advice..

Regards. Rob.

Hi again,

Managed to get the garage to read the code for me and it was P1384 which after a bit of research would appear to be a fault with either either glow plug relay or glow plugs, the fault has now cleared and all working ok but was wondering if someone could advise where / which is the glow plug relay please?

I know where the relay box is i think from the air con issues I had but would like to check the relay is seated ok if it happens again.

Thanks again and Merry Christmas to all! :rolleyes:

I can't tell you which relay it is, but doesn't it tell you under the f/b lid? If not, pull out and refit all relays one by one to make sure you get it!

P1384 could also be a cracked glowplug (possibly a hard-to-see hairline fracture), more info here... http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/3843-error-code-p1384/page__hl__p1384

Hi Jon

Don't know, I'll check when it stops raining!

At least it's sorted for the moment, which is a relief at this time of year, will have to just see how it goes.

Rob this sometimes comes up with a new fuel filter non OEM .Or there might be some air in the system that needs bleeding.