What's new

Checklist for buying a diesel Honda Accord ? (7th Gen)

ship69

Members
Reaction score
Car
'08 i-DTEC EX man 5D
Hi

I am about to buy a 7th Generation Honda Accord - diesel, 2.2 Litres.
I am trying to acheive low cost motoring that is quiet and comfortable on the motorways, but which has reasonable overtaking abilities & reasonable handling on corners
I am planning to spend about £3000 - 7000 and (probably!) get it re-mapped.

- What should I look out for when buying such a car? (Is there a good list somewhere??)

- What are the main service items / main things that go wrong?

- Any other buying advice?

Many thanks

J

P.S. I havent decided on exact model yet - year 2006-ish(?), probably an estate...
PPS. Is it a good or a bad idea to buy from a previous owner who was a mechanic ?(!)

At the 3k end this will have done well into six figures mileage. By this stage the following will probably have been replaced (the first two possibly under warranty):

Exhaust manifold
Timing chain
DMF & clutch

If they haven't been, then they will probaby need to be in due course.

Full service history. Honda history with stamps every 12500 miles ideally, if it doesn't have that you want to see receipts and some kind of proof of AT LEAST oil changes every 12500 miles, preferably every 6k. If it hasn't been done by Honda make sure they used Honda filters and 0w30 fully synthetic oil. If you can't get this proof then walk away and find another one - IMO not worth the risk. Most I've seen have full Honda history anyway so don't gamble on a poor history car.

Depending on mileage it would be nice if it's had the clutch changed.

During the test drive:
Check for rattles and vibrations on cold start, pull away letting the revs rise slowly and make sure there's no hesitation in 1st and 2nd.
To the right of the steering column is 3 buttons, push the VSA button and make sure the light on the dash comes on, and goes out again when you push it again.
Accelerate briskly (not harshly) from around 25mph in 3rd gear, check the revs don't rise and then drop down again not matching the speed.
Get it up to 55mph ish, check for wheel vibration and general judders as you accelerate up to 70. Let it ride at 60-65 sort of speed.
When you stop in traffic or whatever have a good sniff for fumes, also once you've stopped open the bonnet with the engine running and have a sniff near the back of the engine bay - shouldn't be an issue with the facelift but worth checking.
Usual car checks, tyre condition, paint (expect stonechips on the bonnet), pulling under acceleration/braking, noises on full lock etc.

Thanks.

>push the VSA button
= "Vehicle Stability ***ist", right? (i.e. Something about correcting oversteer and unsteer? If so is it important & how well does it work in any case?)

> have a good sniff for fumes
i.e. you mean a leaking exhaust system, yes?

> noises on full lock
Yikes - what does that mean is wrong? (My existing Golf has started doing that - but only sometimes....!)

>DMF
="Dual Mass Flywheel", right?
(I take it all manual 7th Gen Honda Accords have this do they?)

Btw, did they ever make any automatic 7th Gens? (I couldnt find any advertised for sale on Autotrader)

Many thanks

J

Yes to VSA, it's a good system but the problem with the VSA light means the VSA module doesn't work, which means your cruise control (and ABS?) doesn't work, which means it needs a replacement module, which means £1500!!!!!

Manifolds on the pre-facelift cracked, gives fumey smell in the cabin. Covered by Honda up to 125k miles but only with proof of service history!

DMF on the Accord, can be pricey (£1100 ish at Holdcroft Honda), that's why it's a good idea to find one that's had the clutch changed already. If the clutch isn't slipping and you're not getting vibrations whilst driving it should last OK.

Noises in steering and pulling etc. are common things to look for on any car as they suggest problems with front steering rack/suspension etc. Not really a major issue on the Accord just little things to be wary of on any test drive.

Didn't realise the VSA module fault meant no CC?

The manifold problem affected ALL 7th Gens regardless of facelift.

There are agood few threads on what to look for, but I would be looking at the bottom end of the price range.... Oil and filters as well as oil and filters are the key things with reagrds service history.

Didn't realise the VSA module fault meant no CC?

The manifold problem affected ALL 7th Gens regardless of facelift.

There are agood few threads on what to look for, but I would be looking at the bottom end of the price range.... Oil and filters as well as oil and filters are the key things with reagrds service history.
OK I'm obviously losing it, you lose ABS with the VSA fault don't you? Not sure where I got CC from. And I thought Honda don't cover facelifts on the extended warranty for manifolds and timing chains?

It is only the TC Honda refuse to cover as there was a redesign - the manifolds were the same stupid design on both versions unfortunately.