What's new

Chirping when accelerating

jimlington

Members
Reaction score
Car
2010 EX Diesel Auto
Hi all
I've developed what I can only describe as a chirping type sound when accelerating hard in low rev range. Sounds like a chirping noise is the only way I can describe it. Doesn't happen when i rev in neutral though or if I accelerate slowly.. I read it could be a clutch bearing maybe? It's a idtec auto with 90k. I can live with the sound but is it a cause of concern?

I'm not too technically minded but I thought a certain amount of "slip" would be normal with this kind of auto box. I've no idea apart from that I'm afraid..It slips a bit when changes gear then levels out pretty quickly.

I'm not too technically minded but I thought a certain amount of "slip" would be normal with this kind of auto box. I've no idea apart from that I'm afraid..It slips a bit when changes gear then levels out pretty quickly.

Yes there will be 'slip' in an auto where the engine revs can initially rise faster than the road speed. All about moderating your right foot to give it just enough throttle.

None of this explains your chirping sound though

I had a chirping noise coming from the engine bay and it turned out to be the turbo, mine would make the noise under hard acceleration throughout the boost range. It would be less noisy after I did an oil change but would come back. I swapped the turbo for a new one and it's now fine. The old turbo veins were covered in soot, and the bearings weren't doing great.

When was the last service done? I do mine every 8k miles as I don't do long journies all the time and its higher mileage (166k miles)

Might be worth looking at this? Unless you're sure it's the gearbox.

Cheers
Rob

I had a chirping noise coming from the engine bay and it turned out to be the turbo, mine would make the noise under hard acceleration throughout the boost range. It would be less noisy after I did an oil change but would come back. I swapped the turbo for a new one and it's now fine. The old turbo veins were covered in soot, and the bearings weren't doing great.

When was the last service done? I do mine every 8k miles as I don't do long journies all the time and its higher mileage (166k miles)

Might be worth looking at this? Unless you're sure it's the gearbox.

Cheers
Rob
Thanks Rob.. I changed the oil about a month ago having had no idea what oil was on it when purchased in October last year. I do wonder if its turbo related now as it's only when I really boot it that it happens.. I recently did a speed awareness course so probably for the best to be fair.

Even my new turbo does it slightly but only in 4th gear pulls (it's due a service in 1k miles). It's probably quite normal but most Accord owners don't floor it that often ;)