What's new

Clay bar and waxing choices

tbourner

TAF Member
Reaction score
Car
Abarth 595
So I want to repair my paint and get it nice and shiny to start off my ownership. But I've never done it before.

Do you recommend Meguiars stuff? I'm thinking Meguiars Smooth Surface Clat Kit:
http://www.meguiars.co.uk/product/195/Smooth-Surface-Clay-Kit/
This is instead of the starter kit, as I'm sure I'm going to drop the clay on the floor at some point. :D
Then what do I want? Polish? Wax?
Ultimate Wax?
http://www.meguiars.co.uk/product/385/Ultimate-Wax/
Ultimate Paste Wax?
http://www.meguiars.co.uk/product/384/Ultimate-Paste-Wax/
NXT Tech Wax?
http://www.meguiars.co.uk/product/209/NXT-Tech-Wax-20/

So confusing. I'm a bit scared to do the clay, does it actually take off the laquer? What about scratches and chips, do I need to t-cut or polish at any stage or will the clay help with scratches?

Personally not used meg's clay so cannot comment in entirety on it.

Sometimes however it is better to buy the kits, when your starting out as they often have good "how to's" equally you will find plenty of advice on the web.

there are a couple of does and don't s to remember when using clay, then you will do more good than harm.

Firstly only attempt to do it when you have fully washed the car, logical yes, but there will be people who have tried to short cut.

Pick a good day to do it, it is time consuming but well worth it.

With the kit I ***ume you will get the lubricant, some clay's use a special lubricant ( a bit like weak car shampoo) and some use just water, this helps the clay to glide across the bodywork, again make sure the panel you are doing is well lubricated.

Cut a piece of clay off the bar, and flatten it out, similar to that of a foam applicator pad, glide it over the lubricated paintwork, but don't apply any particular pressure, you will hear the clay picking up small pieces of dirt/ tree sap, tar etc. You will have to pass it across a few times.

Make sure you rotate the clay to a clean side regularly, you can re-mould it for a little bit, to get clean clay, but remember this clay is collecting small pieces of hard deposits that could scratch, so when you can no longer re-mould it to clean clay, cut another piece.

Do one panel at a time and use a microfibre cloth to wipe away any residue that you can.

After you have done the whole car, re-wash it.

Generally speaking any protective waxes etc will also be removed or weakened, therefore you need to put some protection back on ideally a sealant then a wax on top.

If however you need to remove some scratches or swirl marks etc, then you need to do this before putting any protection on.

Some good products are Meguairs Scratch X and gtechniq P1 nano polish, put either of those names in the google search function at the top right of the forum, and you will find some other threads demonstrating what others have found.

NXT tech wax is nice, certainly to smell, although apply sparingly as it can end up appearing oily.

Happy cleaning :)

Would be really good to have a detailing meet one day.... Didn't we have a member try and set one up?

Would be really good to have a detailing meet one day.... Didn't we have a member try and set one up?

It would.

Had a quick search for a thread on a detailing meet, but couldn't find anything in particular, although if anyone I suspect it would be Jav.

There is a place near me, that moved into bigger premises and did an open day to promote the new place and show their detailing bay. I maybe popping in there soon as I am considering getting a DA polisher and some other stuff.

I can always enquire, I would imagine it would depend on how many are interested etc, but they do sell almost every product under the sun! so it is worth a look just for the products alone.

The only trouble is they are based in Altrincham, so it depends on whether the location is ok with others, or maybe someone knows another venue.

Nah, it weren't Jav, it was a low-posting member from memory... Lets see what I can find.

It would.

Had a quick search for a thread on a detailing meet, but couldn't find anything in particular, although if anyone I suspect it would be Jav.

There is a place near me, that moved into bigger premises and did an open day to promote the new place and show their detailing bay. I maybe popping in there soon as I am considering getting a DA polisher and some other stuff.

I can always enquire, I would imagine it would depend on how many are interested etc, but they do sell almost every product under the sun! so it is worth a look just for the products alone.

The only trouble is they are based in Altrincham, so it depends on whether the location is ok with others, or maybe someone knows another venue.

which da polisher you considering getting bud...meguires by any chance(if so they got their new 2011 model out)

Just been reading some good things about the DAS6 would love to get into paint correction with proper tools.

Clays Ive used up to now have been Bilt Hamber and valet pro both did the job, valet pro is really good value for money.

Just been reading some good things about the DAS6 would love to get into paint correction with proper tools.

Clays Ive used up to now have been Bilt Hamber and valet pro both did the job, valet pro is really good value for money.

The guy I was talking to a little while back said there wasn't really much difference between the two, although that was before the latest megs g220 came out!

I tend to use bilt hamber also, although not had a proper chance to really give the cars a good clean this year as of yet.

I've used the Meg's clay and am currently using BH clay. The Megs was fine, but the BH you have to warm up and soften and personally i don't quite get on with it, although there is the advantage that it can be used with water.

My personal preference is still Sonus Green clay. When i've used up the BH, i will be going back to the Sonus and using diluted Meg's Last Touch as a clay lube.