What's new

Clay bar in the rain

Nathylad

Members
Reaction score
Car
2002 Accord Sport
A bit of a strange question maybe but, if, when claying your car, keeping it wet is so important. Why aren't people doing it when it's raining?

Surely it would make it easier?

Sorry if there's a really easy reason why it's not done but I just thought it would save loads on time.

Water isn't greasy enough, if you use a clay bar with just water you'll notice there's MUCH more chance of the bar sticking and when it sticks you get marring on the clearcoat which then needs to be polished out. Some people have been known to use fairy liquid in water to remove the friction (not recommended as most washing up liquids have stuff in that will strip the paint over time) and there's a fine line between how much soap to put into how much water, too much and the bar doesn't work, too little and you get that same marring issue.

Only really if your clay bar needs "special" fluid for lubrication, whereas the Bilt Hamber Autoclay I use doesn't. Anyway, the real reason not to clay in the rain is that you want to seal or wax the paint work immediately after claying, which you can't do if it's raining.

rain also contains contamination. . so you could be rubbing more dirt in to the paint

rain also contains contamination. . so you could be rubbing more dirt in to the paint

Nowhere near as many contaminants as your bucket water though, even using 2-bucket, and most people will wash again after claying before polish and wax.

oh yea. you have to re wash the car after claying!

I have just stocked up on buckets as they are £1 in asda at the moment. just need some more lambs wool mits

Fairy Liquid is designed to break down oils. If you have too high a concentration of Fairy Liquid in your spray bottle, it can break down the clay itself.

However, for the very reason above, I always use it as the entire car is washed down after claying, machine polished, sealed then wax'd . . . job done.

Paul, Have you put up before a how to clean your car ''Paul Smith Style'' on here? Like A DIY thread? I would love to read it if you have...Rob

I use bilt hamber regular which works well with water, I got massive chinese copies of 3m clay which is not too bad. Good as a backup of doing the very dirty parts like wheels, skirts, etc

At work i always claybar with autosmart reglaze, works a treat! When we had a couple of contractor valeters in they would wash the car, then claybar to remove the tar, to be honest it was the first time ive ever seen that done, i thought they had a black clay bar but then realised what they were doing. There was no polishing out any marring as i am the only valeter there that actually cares about my finished product. I have no idea where they found these people but in my eyes they were ***** and did a crappy job as i had to re-valet there work and saw there it for myself. I wouldnt say im the best in the world but i am extremely fussy about how the end product looks. When my claybar comes out so does my rotary and finishing pads, actually ive been thinking of attaching my rotary to one of my arms as i have to use it so much..lol

Has anyone tried laundry detergent?

Thats seriously slippy stuff but don't know what it would do to paint or clay :unsure:

A bit of a strange question maybe but, if, when claying your car, keeping it wet is so important. Why aren't people doing it when it's raining?

Surely it would make it easier?

Sorry if there's a really easy reason why it's not done but I just thought it would save loads on time.

Wash the car first.
Then use quickdetailer -- spray it on the bodywork part and clay it. Lots of videos on Youtube to see how it's done.
Then use a polish.
Then wax it.