What's new

Cleaning fuel system

Honest

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda accord
Hi I have seen the program too. I am looking for a place that does it near Sheffield if anyone can help?

I bought a high mileage Honda accord with 135k mileage on it, as I know they will run for ever. I want to clean the fuel system to restore some of the original performance. Ideally I would like someone to ultrasonicly clean the fuel injectors and throttle body, but am having trouble finding a garage that can do it and find it hard to trust garage's, as I always go to improve something but car comes back worse.

I know that halfords garage offer a fuel treatment soultion, by putting some cleaning product in the fuel tank and running the car for a bit, but will this work? I am concerned that this may cause damage? For example where will the dirt go? Will the fuel filter get clogged up?

Someone please give me some advice ? I do use Redex at the moment have not noticed better performance or better fuel economy.

Hi I have seen the program too. I am looking for a place that does it near Sheffield if anyone can help?

I bought a high mileage Honda accord with 135k mileage on it, as I know they will run for ever. I want to clean the fuel system to restore some of the original performance. Ideally I would like someone to ultrasonicly clean the fuel injectors and throttle body, but am having trouble finding a garage that can do it and find it hard to trust garage's, as I always go to improve something but car comes back worse.

I know that halfords garage offer a fuel treatment soultion, by putting some cleaning product in the fuel tank and running the car for a bit, but will this work? I am concerned that this may cause damage? For example where will the dirt go? Will the fuel filter get clogged up?

Someone please give me some advice ? I do use Redex at the moment have not noticed better performance or better fuel economy.

Put a bottle of Forte in to half a tank of diesel, also try running it on V power it should make a difference, BG244 is also another great product for cleaning the fuel lines..

I would recommend seafoam or getting a garage to use one of those two bottle machines that get the car to run of the machine not the normal fuel system.

I have seen that two bottle machince thing on Wheeler dealers in a recent program on a Jag. But I can't find any garages that do it.

The alternative that I can think of this going down to Halfords garage and let them put fuel treatment in my fuel tank. My main concern is where will the dirt go ? and is there a chance that the fuel filter can get clogged up?

are there any bad side effects?

Thanks

First thing as you've just bought the car will be to clean the EGR plate and valve. Then look at maybe running some cleaner through the engine via the petrol tank. The carbon deposits that the stuff removes will be ejected out of the exhaust.

The fuel filter will not get clogged up by using the additive. SO that's nothing to worry about. And if your car hasn't been serviced in a while i'd recommend getting a new FF anyway. :)

I have seen that two bottle machince thing on Wheeler dealers in a recent program on a Jag. But I can't find any garages that do it.

The alternative that I can think of this going down to Halfords garage and let them put fuel treatment in my fuel tank. My main concern is where will the dirt go ? and is there a chance that the fuel filter can get clogged up?

are there any bad side effects?

Thanks
The name of the process used on the Jag on Wheeler Dealers is Terraclean; here is a link to their UK website: Terraclean there are also a couple of videos on You Tube. On the site you will find an email address and they will tell you where the nearest garage that has one of their machines is. I was impressed by their claims because a process that cleans the injectors, the combustion chamber and the O2 sensors without the need for anything to be removed would seem to save a lot of time and effort and is likely to be more cost effective than trying to deal with each area separately (taking the cylinder head off to clean the combustion chambers is a huge job!). Let us know if you find somewhere in your area and if you decide to go for it. I'm sure a review of the process would be very welcome.

Also look at seafoam
Seen that on YouTube, looks good and the results seem really good too. Does smoke a great deal though whilst doing the treatment

Yep and it can smoke when you first drive it, did a neighbours ST3 for him and it smoked a little on idle but 3 mins down the road was like a james bond movie.

I don't have any experience of ultrasonic cleaning, butI think Redex is a bit old school nowadays and mightn't be much use on a modern car, especially the one in the red bottle which is meant for carburettors. One product i've heard people raving about is Millers Ecomax, which is available from Halfords. Claims to clean things up and improve MPG. For £12 or so quid, might be worth a shot. If you do a google search, it gets some great reviews.

Fuel filter shouldn't get clogged, as whatever get's sprayed through the injectors just gets burned off and chucked out as exhaust, should only be clean petrol with a bit of additive in that's passing through the fuel lines.

Try this fella i use it every 6 months as part of my service.

http://www.powerenhancer.co.uk/product.php/226/bg-44k-injector-cleaner--fuel-system-cleaner-and-carbon-remover