What's new

Clock an hour out on 2.2 i-DTEC EX GT with navigation

Troy McClure

Reaction score
Car
2008 Accord Estate
Just noticed today that my clock is an hour fast. Checking the GPS Information page, clock is correct but date is showing 19th May 2002. Looks like this erroneous date (it's January 2nd) is causing it to adjust to BST on the radio display. Any ideas?

Seen the same thing mentioned in many other Accord forums. Guess whatever they turned off in the GPS signal that caused this problem last year has been switched off again. Unfortunately not much can do other than disconnecting and re-connecting the battery at 1pm to reset the clock.

Same in my 2011 Accord clock one hour ahead. This happened on 1st of January. How do you check the GPS information page?

Not sure you can check it. Just experience of what happened previously and did come back but took several months. If you disconnect and reconnect the battery at 1pm then it will be correct

Interestingly it seems to be Mk8 that are having the current problems where previously it was Mk7s. My Mk7 is currently fine and the clock has not changed

Mine is the same, Mk8 with satnav, tried to play around with the clock adjust menu, switched on/off auto time zone, did a +/- hour adjust, nothing gets changed on the LCD display. GPS info shows the correct time though...

Just checked my wife's 07 Civic and it has the same issue...

Last edited:
My 2010 Honda Accord 2.2i-DTEC has this problem too, so I decided to try the fix above.

I tried just before 1pm, but reconnecting at ~1pm didn't work. Then I wondered whether it needed to be disconnected for longer, so I did it again and waited about 15 minutes before reconnecting.

On switching on, the time showed as 1.00pm, and continued working as normal, but showed ~20minutes slow.

So it appears that the timing is vital, and I'll now have to wait until 1.00pm tomorrow to try again!

I'm not sure about the timing of this though - should it be bang on 1pm when I disconnect and instantly reconnect, or should I disconnect before 1pm , leave off and reconnect at exactly 1pm? I somehow favour the latter, but does anyone know the correct procedure, please?

What a faff!

Found the following on a search online, but not really helpful - included just for interest.

I'm finding it a bit unsettling but at the same time can't be bothered messing about with it. I might just cover it up with Blu tack or something for now. Looks like the fault's at the transmitter end so it'll resolve if and when Alpine or whoever fixes it.

This happened to me the other day 2.2 idtec. I changed daylight saving setting and it threw it out by another hour so I managed to offset the time to get it to show correct by using the manual adjustment setting.
However I noticed that with a destination set in the nav that the arrival time was acting like it was set to time to go instead of arrival time. So I then tried messing with the clock settings and it will not change anymore it just ignores any changes it only seemed to work the first time I tried.
The time is showing correct on the radio display now and in the hidden nav gps info menu but date is wrong (2002 can't remember day or month) only problem I have is the arrival time being messed up if I've got a destination route set in nav.

The nav used to show as an example say it was 14.00 and my route was going to take 28 mins it would show on screen like this;
Arrival
Now it show this;
Arrival
and the 28 will count down every minute that passes which is how it should work only if you set it to 'time to go' in route and guidance settings but it would show on screen like this:
To go
Mental stuff
There is the link on the crv owners club forums with what honda are saying about the issue which is mentioned in the link above so I as well as lots of others will be following this

My 2010 Honda Accord 2.2i-DTEC has this problem too, so I decided to try the fix above.

I tried just before 1pm, but reconnecting at ~1pm didn't work. Then I wondered whether it needed to be disconnected for longer, so I did it again and waited about 15 minutes before reconnecting.

On switching on, the time showed as 1.00pm, and continued working as normal, but showed ~20minutes slow.

So it appears that the timing is vital, and I'll now have to wait until 1.00pm tomorrow to try again!

I'm not sure about the timing of this though - should it be bang on 1pm when I disconnect and instantly reconnect, or should I disconnect before 1pm , leave off and reconnect at exactly 1pm? I somehow favour the latter, but does anyone know the correct procedure, please?
UPDATE 11.15 6/1/22

Have just been in contact with Honda in Doncaster who inform me that this problem occurred due to a GPS Update, and is being investigated by Honda. They took my details and say they will be in touch when a solution has been found.

I have no reason to distrust this advice, but still intend to have a go with disconnecting the battery around 1pm, despite others elsewhere claiming it won't work. I tend to agree, but figure I've not much to lose, as battery disconnection alone itself surely shouldn't cause any harm. I'll report back in due course.

My 2013 Type S is the same, showing 1 hr fast.
I went into the menu on the nav screen and noticed that it is indicated as WET which I ***ume refers to Western Europe Time? In the menu I could set it to the correct time but it doesn't change the aircon display time below the nav screen.

UPDATE 11.15 6/1/22

Have just been in contact with Honda in Doncaster who inform me that this problem occurred due to a GPS Update, and is being investigated by Honda. They took my details and say they will be in touch when a solution has been found.

I have no reason to distrust this advice, but still intend to have a go with disconnecting the battery around 1pm, despite others elsewhere claiming it won't work. I tend to agree, but figure I've not much to lose, as battery disconnection alone itself surely shouldn't cause any harm. I'll report back in due course.
FURTHER UPDATE

I disconnected the battery at 12.45 today and reconnected it at exactly 1pm. As I reconnected, my wife switched on the ignition, and lo and behold, the clock showed 1.00, and carried on working. It may be a few seconds out, but that's better than the previous situation where it was ~20 minutes ahead after my initial trial.

However, I have a feeling that it may be 12 hours behind, as I was initially using the 24hr clock, but only time will tell (excuse pun!!)

My 2013 Type S is the same, showing 1 hr fast.
I went into the menu on the nav screen and noticed that it is indicated as WET which I ***ume refers to Western Europe Time? In the menu I could set it to the correct time but it doesn't change the aircon display time below the nav screen.
That's what I found. too. Apparently the date is also incorrect, but for me it's not yet a problem, as I believe it's only used for GPS in certain circumstances.

Same issue on my 09 Mk8 Accord, not had chance to check the 09 CRV navi yet, but I expect it to be the same!

The date is important as the time of year will either be BST or Standard which will in turn change it by an hour. You have to disconnect the GPS aerial to prevent it self updating.

FURTHER UPDATE

I disconnected the battery at 12.45 today and reconnected it at exactly 1pm. As I reconnected, my wife switched on the ignition, and lo and behold, the clock showed 1.00, and carried on working. It may be a few seconds out, but that's better than the previous situation where it was ~20 minutes ahead after my initial trial.

However, I have a feeling that it may be 12 hours behind, as I was initially using the 24hr clock, but only time will tell (excuse pun!!)

Yes, it's 12 hours out and I can't revert to 12 hour clock in settings. So I suppose if I'm conscious around 1am I could redo this procedure and possibly get the correct time, but it may take some time to reach that state!
Let's hope Honda get it sorted soon.

Update:

The papers are reporting that this problem probably happened on the 1st January because of an overflow in a signed 32 bit register (ie 1 bit for the sign and 31 bits for the number) where the max value is 2147483647. This runs into problems beyond the 31st December 2021 at 23:59 which is stored as 2112312359 in YYMMDDHHMM format. 2201010000 is too large for the register to store so something has to give. A possible Honda fix will be to remove the sign bit (no need for negative numbers) and use all 32 bits to store the date and time, which will solve the problem until the end of 2042, probably long enough for most cars on the road today.

The papers and those on the CR-V forum are saying that the date has reset to 1st Jan 2002 and their clock keeps resetting to 01:00 every time they switch on the ignition.

The problem on my 2009 model Accord Tourer appears to be slightly different:

I first noticed on 2nd Jan that my date had changed to 19th May 2002, which is exactly 1024 (2^10) weeks before 2nd January 2021, so it looks like it's a week rollover we're suffering from - maybe related to the overflow issue, but possibly coincidental? As we're on BST in May, that explains the clock being one hour out, but after I disconnected/reconnected the battery, it reset to 01:00 and for the last few days has been ticking on as normal, albeit showing the wrong time.

That puts us Accord owners at an advantage as we can reconnect the battery at 1 am and at least have the clock tell the right time as it's not syncing to the GPS any more.

Meanwhile the navigation functions seem fortunately to be working as normal, including finding satellites after a battery disconnect, so could be worse....

Last edited:
Same in my 2011 Accord clock one hour ahead. This happened on 1st of January. How do you check the GPS information page?

To see the GPS information page, press and hold Cancel, Map/Guide and Menu for 5 seconds, select 'Detail (sic) Information & Setting', then 'GPS Information'.

Update (I posted this in another thread too):

I disconnected and reconnected the battery at 1am earlier this year when the issue first arose. Noticed mid August that it seemed to be right to the second (where it had been drifting a few seconds a week), but the date shows today as 29th March 2003 in 'GPS information' of the hidden menu (press and hold Map, Cancel and Menu together).

Didn't expect it to adjust when the clocks change (it didn't) but it can now be adjusted manually again in Setting Screen 2, 'Clock Adjustment'. Have turned off Auto Summer Time and Auto Time Zone. Can live with changing it twice a year and at least it keeps time to the second again and I haven't got to mess about with the battery in the middle of the night.

The date is running 1024 weeks behind by the way so is obviously an overrun type situation where week number is stored in 10 bits of memory. The 17th August was the day it thought the date ticked over to the 1st Jan 2003 which I guess is why it (partially) fixed itself....

Last edited: