What's new

Clock issue since new year

smokingman

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Tourer 2008/9
Hi all,

Here is a copy of a resent email from Honda.

Thank you for contacting Honda UK.

We apologise sincerely for the inconvenience of a wait for the fix of the global clock issue we are experiencing.

We have received official information from our Technical Department that they are currently working on a fixture and will implement that fix, scheduled to be summertime, although a definitive date is not released as not to mislead our customers. As soon as the fix has been released, it shall be implemented onto our customers vehicles.

As our master technical are currently working on a fix, we appreciate your patience in this matter.

Our Authorised Honda Dealerships are the first point of contact for our Technical Department and they shall be issued the fixture.

Below I have provided you with a link as to locate the contact information of a dealership.

https://www.honda.co.uk/cars/find-a-dealer.html#search

Thank you for contacting Honda. If we can be of any further ***istance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind Regards,

Honda Customer Service

Well I don't know about anyone else, but mine started working properly again this morning. Since the beginning of the year I haven't been able to adjust the clock, and the satnav always reset to midnight jan1st every time the car was powered up, so I couldn't use the "Time of Arrival" mode and had to stick with the "Time remaining" mode.

But now it all works again.

PDR

Well I don't know about anyone else, but mine started working properly again this morning. Since the beginning of the year I haven't been able to adjust the clock, and the satnav always reset to midnight jan1st every time the car was powered up, so I couldn't use the "Time of Arrival" mode and had to stick with the "Time remaining" mode.

But now it all works again.

PDR

Yep for me too. I did clock reset at 1am so it would be correct, this morning i started my accord and saw that clock was -1hour.
Went into gps clock settings, but there gps date still was shown 2003 and when i chose correct date and time, pressed 'set' nothing happened. Then i went into clock adjust settings, there just set the clock +1hour and it now reacted so now clock is showing the right time. Previously it didnt react here too.

Havent tried the clock reset yet(disconnecting the battery for 15min)... What will it do when it reads new info data from gps.

@looney
On or after the 17th August 2022, when the system’s internal calendar recalibrates, the GPS time signal becomes valid again. The clock will show the correct GPS time but most likely be off by 1 hour because the system’s internal calendar interprets the daylight-saving time (DST) change incorrectly.

Now, the customer can adjust the time correctly, and it wont be affected every time the vehicle’s power is cycled off and on. The correct time will stay on through the next DST change based on the system internal calendar.

What can we do to avoid the time changes to incorrect value again after 17th August 2022.

The automatic DST function will not work correctly causing the incorrect time at the perceived DST date. We recommend that after 17th August 2022 the customer sets the “Auto Daylight Saving “ function to “OFF” and adjust the DST manually.

Just checked mine and time was just 1 hour off as well. Manually adjusted in settings to +1 hour and all works. Nav also shows arrival time correctly, now if only it also showed all roads and traffic too!

@smokingman we just need to manually adjust the time to account for DST each time the clocks go forward/back then, yeah?

Great timing! I was just looking at my clock yesterday (16th) and thinking it was correct, then this morning it was an hour slow again!

Great timing! I was just looking at my clock yesterday (16th) and thinking it was correct, then this morning it was an hour slow again!
Mine’s working as of this evening!

manually able to adjust the clock through the Satnav to the exact correct time on the way home from work……at last!

So Honda must’ve come good with their promised update.

Mine’s working as of this evening!

manually able to adjust the clock through the Satnav to the exact correct time on the way home from work……at last!

So Honda must’ve come good with their promised update.

There was no update (these units don't have "over the air updates"). This is just the way the software behaves - essentially poor design produced an unhandled exception (aka "error" or "bug") in January, but a separate feature in the code fortuitously causes it to reset on August 17th. And that's what happened.

Now I just need to find where water has suddenly started getting into the left-hand footwell. I wonder if it's a blocked sunroof drain or similar...

PDR

There was no update (these units don't have "over the air updates"). This is just the way the software behaves - essentially poor design produced an unhandled exception (aka "error" or "bug") in January, but a separate feature in the code fortuitously causes it to reset on August 17th. And that's what happened.

Now I just need to find where water has suddenly started getting into the left-hand footwell. I wonder if it's a blocked sunroof drain or similar...

PDR
There is a way to do an over the air system update. I’ve done it twice in the past, one as an attempt to cure this exact clock problem. While that attempt didn’t solve it, the software came was delivered and installed.

Maybe on the newer ones, but AFAIK the Alpine unit in my 2011 Honda Accord Ex I-Dtec has no over-the-air capability.

PDR

Last edited:
I have noticed my 2006 Accord clock has been incorrect for months. So it affects all Hondas - I thought I had a duff unit.

I have noticed my 2006 Accord clock has been incorrect for months. So it affects all Hondas - I thought I had a duff unit.
MrOkra

Now can be corrected as of this week. Done as follows;

Go into the MENU button on your satnav screen, then press Setting at the top right of the screen, then button ‘2’ at the top right, then ‘Clock Adjustment’ and adjust accordingly using time adjustment buttons. Then press ‘Done’

MrOkra

Now can be corrected as of this week. Done as follows;

Go into the MENU button on your satnav screen, then press Setting at the top right of the screen, then button ‘2’ at the top right, then ‘Clock Adjustment’ and adjust accordingly using time adjustment buttons. Then press ‘Done’

Working now, ta.

Onto the VSA unit, that's got the dreaded error msg. lol

PDR
If you have roofrails, check they are not leaking around the mounting studs. I used Captain Tolleys creeping crack sealer to fix similar on a previous car with a leak.

I disconnected and reconnected the battery at 1am earlier this year when the issue first arose. Noticed mid August that it seemed to be right to the second (where it had been drifting a few seconds a week), but the date shows today as 29th March 2003 in 'GPS information' of the hidden menu (press and hold Map, Cancel and Menu together).

Didn't expect it to adjust when the clocks change (it didn't) but it can now be adjusted manually again in Setting Screen 2, 'Clock Adjustment'. Have turned off Auto Summer Time and Auto Time Zone. Can live with changing it twice a year and at least it keeps time to the second again and I haven't got to mess about with battery in the middle of the night.

The date is running 1024 weeks behind by the way so is obviously an overrun type situation where week number is stored in 10 bits of memory. The 17th August was the day it thought the date ticked over to the 1st Jan 2003 which I guess is why it (partially) fixed itself....

Last edited: