What's new

Clunking front end

Mellenchip86

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.0 ES
Hi everyone. I've got a 1999 2.0 ES accord which has a noisy front end. I've replaced the upper control arms, stabiliser links, anti roll bar bushes front and rear. New track rod ends and new disks and pads on the front. It's driving me insane now! All those parts were trashed anyway but one noise remains. I noticed that the driveshafts have some play in/out along their axis. Is this normal? They do make a noise when I move them. The clunking occurs on uneven roads below 20mph approximately or going up and down curbs. It also makes a click when going from forward to reverse gears (auto) but not from reverse to neutral back to reverse. I think this is the driveshaft moving making the noise. Could they be toast?

Have you changed your lower ball joints? Are the rubber bushes intact within the lower arms?

Could be a few things - if you can't find it, why not pay a garage a small number of quid for a diagnosis, instead of putting up with it and maybe wasting money throwing parts at it.

Hi. Yes I've had a look at the lower ball joints and the boots are intact but it could be those I suppose. All the parts I've changed so far we absolutely gone and needed changing anyway but there's nothing else obvious that I can see.

Next step will be a garage definitely. Just wondered if there was anything less obvious I was missing.

Mellenchip86 said:
Lower arm bushes are good as well, they aren't cracked and rotten anyway.
In fairness mine didn't look bad at all and there was no play when the car was jacked up either. But when the car is under load and its own weight the smallest amount of free play is amplified. I changed them as a precautionary measure and plus they were £10 per joint.