What's new

Clutch bleeding Tips

AccordPower

Members
Reaction score
Car
fr-v
About 3 months ago I replaced my (FR-V 2.2) master + slave clutch cylinders with OEM nissen parts from blueprint. Hopefully the below will help you bleed your system.

I bled the clutch using the usual two man method. This worked but left some air in the system, this air would make the pedal go spongy once the car got hot. Watch this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bngJkM_vkUE&list=UUSufPrfq8lm0rYJ0cM03jXg

see how even a small bubble effects the clutch hydraulics.I watched almost all the videos, he explains everything in a very logical way.

So for the past 3 months I have tried the following different bleeding methods:
1)Used a small oil can filled with dot4 and reverse bled from the slave nipple - no joy
2)Unscrewed the slave from housing with line still attached and pumped the piston for further reverse bleeding - no joy
3)Compressed slave cylinder with hand and then opened the bleed nipple to release trapped air. This is done beacuse the slave is never fully compressed and can have air behind it - no joy

4) Yesterday I tried this (skip to 24 mins in) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kzGPobhcZY&list=UUSufPrfq8lm0rYJ0cM03jXg and so far it feels better than the above steps. I would still recommend steps 2+3 above as they did remove a little air.

To summarise the vid - you need to block the clutch fork from moving by placing a 20mm socket behind it. Pressing the clutch pedal relays zero movement in the slave cylinder.

when you press the clutch pedal the slave is now removed from the equation. When pressing the clutch pedal, what does it feel like?
1)A rock solid pedal is evidence that you have NO air in the system and your issues may be clutch related.
2)If you feel even the slightest sponginess/softness then you have air in the system. This is what I felt.

I Carried out the usual 2 man bleed method. The difference being the full movement of the clutch pedal is now used to push fluid out rather than filling the slave piston. The amount of fluid removed is 3/4 times that of the normal method so keep an eye on the reservoir. Once done, remove the 20mm socket. That's it! you should have a bled system.

Hmmm. I find bleed clutches on Honda can be an absolute pain in the proverbial. How I've successfully done it on various Honda's is by the following:

1. Fill the master and keep it full through the process.
2. Have the slave cylinder uncoupled from the body and a length of hose connected to the bleed nipple. Keep the nipple point upwards (air will float out)
3. Open the bleed nipple and squeeze the slave cylinder home. The air will come out the bleed nipple
4. Close the bleed nipple and release the slave cylinder. The fluid is sucked from the master into the pipework
5. Repeat until bubbles are gone.

By using the slave to "suck" the brake fluid down, there's virtually no way for air to get back into the system. You control the slave and the rate of flow. It's pretty much worked for all cars I've used it on. It also means that the bubble trap in the slave cylinder never happens.

jayok said:
Hmmm. I find bleed clutches on Honda can be an absolute pain in the proverbial. How I've successfully done it on various Honda's is by the following:

1. Fill the master and keep it full through the process.
2. Have the slave cylinder uncoupled from the body and a length of hose connected to the bleed nipple. Keep the nipple point upwards (air will float out)
3. Open the bleed nipple and squeeze the slave cylinder home. The air will come out the bleed nipple
4. Close the bleed nipple and release the slave cylinder. The fluid is sucked from the master into the pipework
5. Repeat until bubbles are gone.

By using the slave to "suck" the brake fluid down, there's virtually no way for air to get back into the system. You control the slave and the rate of flow. It's pretty much worked for all cars I've used it on. It also means that the bubble trap in the slave cylinder never happens.

Jayok, I tried your suggested method and must admit it gave a better pedal feel than the the method in the videos! Thanks mate!!