Clutch grinding noise at top of pedal

hitman

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Tourer i-CTDi
Hi All,

[ 2005 Accord Tourer iCTDi ]

I have recently started hearing a grinding noise when slightly pressing the clutch at the top of the pedal about 1 inch. Pressing the clutch further than this silences the noise. The clutch operation appears quite normal in terms of no slipping. The only other problem appears to be intermittent. Sometimes the clutch pedal feels like it doesn't spring back quick enough, but this is very intermittent.

I just gave it in to my local Honda dealer and they diagnosed this as a problem with the flywheel and release bearing and suggested I have both of these and the actual clutch replaces at quite a large cost (around £1700). The largest cost is apparently the flywheel part.

Just wonder if anyone else has experienced this type of problem or if the above sounds reasonable.

Thanks.

Moved to correct section

Thanks for correcting the post location Brett.

Anyone have any advice?

Someone told me it could be a bearing, but replacing that involves opening up to the clutch and flywheel anyway. However, I don't want to have to fork out for a flywheel if I don't have to.

Hiten

Hiten
Without hearing and feeling the fault, any feedback is entirely a guess.

If the noise only occurs when you lightly press the clutch pedal 1" you are bringing together the release bearing and pressure plate fingers.
It sounds like either the bearing or perhaps a pressure plate finger may be damaged.

Pressing the clutch further applies more pressure to both components, hence why noise stops.

In either respect its likely that the gearbox would need to be removed to ascertain cause if you cannot live with the problem

Terry, thanks for your reply.

As the clutch still seems to operate fine, and recently as it has got warmer the noise isn't so noticeable I am going to just live with it for now.

I appreciate your thoughts on the problem though.

I had this exact problem... It was the flywheel. However my clutch lasted about 6 months before it died on me.