What's new

Clutch issues

andy.lane1

Members
Reaction score
Car
2001 1.8 SE Facelift
Hi Guys,

Need some input again. I have an odd (well by my standards anyway) one. I got into my car on Saturday and after starting it there was a huge amount of travel in the clutch pedal before it got stiff and hit the biting point. It was fine Friday evening by the way. It was like this all weekend, I checked the fluid levels an all were fine. Was going to see if I could adjust the pedal today to fix the issue and took the car for a drive before I did and all the play was gone!! the pedal had gone back to normal. If it was the breaking system I would say there was air in there and it needed to be bled and I ***ume the same can be said for this but I have limited experience with hydraulic clutches so I would like any input to see if I am right and if so how do I go about bleeding the clutch as I have never done it before.

As per usual thanks for all your help in advance.
Andy

You could definitely have air in the clutch hydraulic lines.

Try to bleed the system.
The bleeder is in the slave master cylinder. Although it's an easy process, it's not easy to get to the bleeder. The best method is to remove front engine mount and push it to the side, then you will have loads of space.

Take a look at this guide which I made a while ago when I replaced the clutch master cylinder, in the end, you can see what I am talking about.

http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/252-diy-clutch-master-cylinder-replace-6th-gen/

If it's not air in the system, and you see no leeks near the clutch slave cylinder, you might have a dying clutch master cylinder, which is starting to loose pressure.

If you are going to bleed the system, you might as well change the fluid, since it must be quite old ;)

You could definitely have air in the clutch hydraulic lines.

Try to bleed the system.
The bleeder is in the slave master cylinder. Although it's an easy process, it's not easy to get to the bleeder. The best method is to remove front engine mount and push it to the side, then you will have loads of space.

Take a look at this guide which I made a while ago when I replaced the clutch master cylinder, in the end, you can see what I am talking about.

http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/252-diy-clutch-master-cylinder-replace-6th-gen/

If it's not air in the system, and you see no leeks near the clutch slave cylinder, you might have a dying clutch master cylinder, which is starting to loose pressure.

If you are going to bleed the system, you might as well change the fluid, since it must be quite old ;)

Thats great Pedro. Out of curiosity how much was the master cylinder. I may as well plan ahead as have been having small clutch issues for the last 6 months which all seem to lead back to the master cylinder and there does not seem to be any sign of a leak.

thanks man
andy

I am not sure, I guess it was about 80/100€ for an after-market.
The Honda one was more than the double...

Just updating this so nobody else makes the same rookie mistake that I did :blush: . I finally scrapped the money together to replace the master cylinder and I got a slave cylinder for good measure. got the parts home and started to trip everything down. I went to drain the reservoir, removed the lid, then the black filter that was full to the top of fluid.............Wait that's no filter. Idiot Jed here had ***umed it was a filter and when all was good and it looked full I never questioned it, and yes you all know where this is going, there was very little (for want of a better word beginning with F and ending with All) fluid in the hydraulic system. Bled it filled with new fluid and guess what???? The problem went away. Quick question for anybody out there, what purpose does the black rubber 'thing' do?. I ***ume it is to keep pressure in the system but look where ***uming got me!!!!!!

Feel free to laugh at me making such a silly mistake, I deserve it. Although in my defense nowhere in the manual does it say you need to remove the black rubber 'thing' to refill the system. Now to hope they take the parts back

Andy

lol well atleast you don't need the parts and save some wedge.
As far as I know brake/clutch fluid is hygroscopic which means it attracts and retains moisture so the black rubber seal is to prevent that by giving a tight seal.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

At least it's all sorted now Andy B)