What's new

Clutch on its way out

si_d_2003

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2 CTDI
Hey guys, my clutch is on its way out I think, and I know when you replace the clutch it needs preloading. Is there any pressure plates that fit that don't need preloading as I don't have the tool at work for it. I still honestly don't know why the pressure plate need to adjust anyway, when it self adjusts due to the hydraulics.
Cheers
Simon

Hey guys, my clutch is on its way out I think, and I know when you replace the clutch it needs preloading. Is there any pressure plates that fit that don't need preloading as I don't have the tool at work for it. I still honestly don't know why the pressure plate need to adjust anyway, when it self adjusts due to the hydraulics.
Cheers
Simon

I've never understood this either tbh.... surely the preloading just sets up the initial pedal feel ? I would have thought that over a few hundred operations the self adjustment on the cover plate would kick in.

Happy to see things another way if somebody can explain things better.

Cheers
Robin

You can hire the tool if you live near Birmingham for 15 a day. I posted a link on here a while back from ebay

Sorry the ebay post for that seems to have disappeared. So the cheapest one is around 85 to buy. Then you could probaly sell it for 75.

since i got my new clutch never really been happy with it. biting point too close to the floor for my liking
so what happens if it was not preloaded when fitted ?
thanks

Premature wear. They can also fully adjust in transit and sometimes need resetting before installation. I've seen a video on YouTube saying it is possible to fit them without the tool but it would void any warranty.

What symptoms are you experiencing to say your clutch is on way out ?

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

My clutch feels ok sometimes but then if I boot the car the pedal biting point becomes very low and I have to pump the pedal. This to me tells me there is air in the system as the pedal feel shouldn't change. I have changed the master cylinder because of a leak a while back and the slave cylinder. But I still get a different feel pedal. In terms of clutch grip I dont have a problem going up hills and its never slipped once.
So I just ruled out that it must be the clutch as I have bled it and bled it with the same results.

My clutch feels ok sometimes but then if I boot the car the pedal biting point becomes very low and I have to pump the pedal. This to me tells me there is air in the system as the pedal feel shouldn't change. I have changed the master cylinder because of a leak a while back and the slave cylinder. But I still get a different feel pedal. In terms of clutch grip I dont have a problem going up hills and its never slipped once.
So I just ruled out that it must be the clutch as I have bled it and bled it with no change in the way the pedal operates

This is how mine started about a year ago now I can't drive above 2000 revs or it slips really badly and the car judders. I will get it changed when I have chance.

Might be worth checking the cruise control switch is adjusted correctly there is a guide on how to do it on Honda karma.

It wouldn't. But it can cause premature clutch wear. Mine started the same way the clutch biting point became low to the floor and sometimes the pedal stayed down on its own the symptoms were the same as you would expect from a dodgy clutch slave cylinder.it gradually got worse and now it's really bad.

Ok here i go:
Firstly was clutch bleeding done using vacuum pump ? If not you may still have air in system as gravity bled will leave air in master cylinder unless bench bled.
Secondly when you bled slave cylinder did you push in piston during process ?
Also the clutch pedal has fatigue cracks which causes the same issues you are describing.
I replace my clutch master cylinder along with clutch pedal and bled using vacuum pump had no problems and all is working fine.

Hi honda_saj, yes I vacuum bled it and pushed the slave piston in at the same time.
When you say you replaced the pedal, was it the box too?
It looks like a nightmate tbh!
How much did one cost new may I ask?

How did you bled system you need to do master cylinder first and ensure you close valve before emptying container and then slave cyclinder see this http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/12324-clutch-and-gear-change-problams
Post 24 and 25.
The clutch pedal box ***embly was £35 including delivery used breakerlink I fitted diesel model pedal you have to remove one switch but works the same, replacement is two bolts remove master cylinder pin and replace you may have to remove drivers side air mixer like I had to it is a pain in the back side you will be head under the car but can be done with in a hour.