What's new

Clutch only sticking sometimes

thatcd7

Members
Reaction score
Car
1996 honda accord
Hi guys. This is my first time posting on forums. My cd7 accord is having some clutch sticking problems. It only sticks sometimes. (More often than not) but I can give it a few pumps and it gets some resistance. I know I'm not leaking fluid because my master cyl resivour is staying full. Ive tried changing the master and slave cyl and bleeding it. Any ideas on what it could be?
Thanks

How did you bleed ?

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

Also check for any cracks around clutch pedal

I had my buddy in the car and had him pull up the pedal then push down then I loosened and tightened the bleeder, repeat. But I'll check tonight for cracks. Would I be looking around where the pedal pivots?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530A using Tapatalk

Either use valve or vacuum bleed, gravity bleed does not always work

Yes look around weld area

Okay I'll try that. Thanks a lot!

Not a problem

If you are not loosing fluid you can still get air in the system trough the clutch cylinder connected to the pedal.
This is a common fault on WV cars

Gotcha. I'll take a look at that as well.

Not sure about this model, but some Hondas present significant problems in completely removing all trapped air from the slave cylinder...
I've heard of some Civic owners having to unbolt and elevate the slave cylinder during bleeding and also on Accords for the slave cylinder to require the rod to be forced in during bleeding to compress the cylinder volume to eliminate air pockets.

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to be working on it tonight so I'll give that a try.

Okay, so, ive checked near the pedal for cracks. Nothing. I power bled the system and it worked when I took it for a spin around the block and then right before I got to the driveway it went to the floor. Maybe its a faulty slave cyl? Or master cyl? Other than that I'm out of ideas.

There are only 3 options
1. Faulty master cylinder
2. Faulty slave cylinder
3. Air in the system
If you ask me i would point the finger on the master cylinder behind the pedal

Yes I agree would be inclined to check cmc ensure their is no split on reservoir hose to where air can be introduced otherwise look at replacing cmc.

Alright. That'll be the next thing I replace. Thanks for all the advice.

No problem keep us advised

Sorry for not keeping you guys updated. Ive been super busy and with two jobs I don't get a lot of time to get stuff done. I replaced the slave cylinder first and got it bled because it was a lot easier. That didn't work so the other night I replaced the master cylinder. Haven't got it bled yet due to limited time. But should have it done within the next couple of days. I'm really hoping thats what's going on. Thanks to all for all of the advice. I'll post again when I get this master cylinder bled.

Cool how are you bleeding using vacuum pump or one way valve gravity bleed does not work all ways especially on clutches

Also after replacing clutch master cylinder, bleed from slave then once all air removed push slave piston fully in and bleed again that way you will bleed slave and master properly a key technique that gets overlooked and then people say they have spongy clutches

Awesome. I'm glad you said something before I got to it. Thanks a bunch. I'll definitely do that.

No problem keep us posted

When I did my 6 gen accord clutch replacement the slave had seized in the retracted position hence why my pedal wasn't returning back on it's own, after flushing out the contaminated fluid in the system (was very dirty ) the slave started to work again and the pedal was fine after that.

Get somebody to make sure the pivot arm on the box moves freely when the clutch is depressed and released if no movement or very little it's the slave that's the problem. Pita to bleed the slave too as the bleed nipple is right up against the engine mount bracket.Undo the 2 bolts for the slave and lift it up a little and that gives you clearance to bleed easier.

Yes good point I always release and bleed then bolt down much easier to do

Sorry about the delay on an update. I got the car going. It ended up being the master cyl bypassing. Got it changed and the clutch works like a beauty. Thanks for all the help from everyone!

Great [emoji106] result

Sent from my LG-K100 using Tapatalk