What's new

Clutch Problem

Laserjetdog

Reaction score
Car
Accord i-CDTi 2005
Hi
Problem with my i-ctdI 2005 clutch. 160000km.
Clutch pedal going to the floor and not returning. Cannot change gear or knock into neutral. If pull back pedal with your foot can now change gear. Really only happens when in 1ST or reverse. Its intermittent. When problem occurring clutch seems to bite too early close to floor.
Honda garage say sounds like clutch and flywheel probably needs replacing.
Replaced the slave cylinder and problem went away for 5 weeks and now its back again. Was thinking of replacing master cylinder next.???
Anyone else have this issue.

Could be due to air bubbles in the master/slave clutch cylinders.

I have had a similar issue in that the trapped air would take weeks to get worse. This happened as the air bubble migrated from the slave to the master causing the pedal to go much more spongy.

I would try bleeding your hydraulics properly first, look at this for help http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/17706-clutch-bleeding-tips/

I will try bleeding it again. The alternative of replacing clutch and flywheel is not on at price quoted.
Thanks for that.

The MC can fail in the Accord - it seems a pretty weak design. Coupled with the creak/squeak that it also has, I'm not sure how it got past Honda's quality department. Anyhow, if it's going to the floor intermittently, then it's clutch hydraulics. Check for leaks around the slave and look up the drivers foot well for leaks inside the cabin of fluid.

Possible air getting in system, bad seal at either the mc or sc. Replace pipe for a few pound, fill and bleed a couple of times. If it was the clutch itself it wouldnt go away

Have been away for awhile so apologies for not getting back.
The fluid has been changed and the slave cylinder. The clutch pedal has not gone to the floor since. It is biting a bit early but can live with that at the moment.
Thanks lads for your help.

Laserjetdog said:
Have been away for awhile so apologies for not getting back.
The fluid has been changed and the slave cylinder. The clutch pedal has not gone to the floor since. It is biting a bit early but can live with that at the moment.
Thanks lads for your help.
You can adjust the bite point slightly with at the MC level - but if you're happy leave it alone.