What's new

Clutch

andy.lane1

Members
Reaction score
Car
2001 1.8 SE Facelift
Hi Guys,

Quick question. Is there anybody out there who has changed a clutch on a 1.8 engine. just wanted to know how difficult it is? Also can anybody tell me how to adjust the clutch cable on these. When I have the clutch pedal fully pressed down and lift is slowly I can feel a rubbing in it but if the car is in motion and I put it in neutral and do the same there is no rubbing. also it is getting harder to engage 1st and reverse gear. any ideas?

thanks again
Andy

I am about to change the clutch in mine for about two years, since the clutch bearing is gone, but it stills works reasonable ok.

I have looked and studied how to replace it, and its not too hard, it just takes lots of time. I guess the most time consuming thing is that I "think" we have to remove the front subframe, at least they say to remove it in the repair manual. I don't know if it is possible to remove the gearbox without removing the subframe.

Anyway, in the next couple of months I might buy the clutch kit and give it a try. I am thinking on buying a LUK clutch kit from ebay, I found some sellers which do not have it listed, but they do sell it at a very reasonable price, about 80/100 GBP.

All these guys had the clutch when I enquired them. The clutch kit LUK part number for our car is: 623 3293 00
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/PARTS2CLEAR-0844-736-0567
http://stores.ebay.com/techniclutch
http://stores.ebay.com/gsfcarparts

About adjusting the clutch pedal, our car does not have a clutch cable, its hydraulic. You can adjust the pedal in the pedal it-self, there is a lock-nut in the rod which goes to the clutch master cylinder. You should undo that lock-nut, and turn the rod which goes into the master cylinder, which will adjust the pedal and the "bite" point of your clutch.

About getting harder to put in 1st and rear, it could be the gear box fluid. Have you ever replaced it?

About getting harder to put in 1st and rear, it could be the gear box fluid. Have you ever replaced it?

I have not. did a full service in July on the car but did not have the means to get the car level enoough to accurately check or fill the gearbox. about that LUK part number. I can source that here in Ireland for €110. was not sure if they were any good or not for that price.

I have not. did a full service in July on the car but did not have the means to get the car level enoough to accurately check or fill the gearbox. about that LUK part number. I can source that here in Ireland for €110. was not sure if they were any good or not for that price.

I think LUK clutches are quite good, and they are used as oem parts by some brands. Here in Portugal the best price I have seen for that LUK kit is about 250€...

Clutch replacement isn't the hardest job, I've done a few but I have to say the main job is lineing up the friction plate with flywheel but you can get a clutch alignment tool for this.

Other than that a little strength helps to lift and drop the gearbox.

Have you ever done anything like this before?

I would maybe replace the gearbox fluid first and also replace the clutch fluid as this can sometimes cause hard gear selection as the lines can get moisture in.

Hope that helps

To replace the clutch you don't have to remove the subframe. It is alot of work though, and really you need a ramp or at least a pit to do it without dropping the box on your head anyway :lol:

As Shabz has said, change the gearbox oil first and see if that makes a difference. If the car is hard to get into only a certain gear then it sounds to me like it could be the synchro. These go on the pre faclifts ATRs all the time. But when the box is off, the synchro can be checked anyway.

Would say clutch disc spring retaining clip has broken. Seen loads of them go like this. I would only recommend a genuine Honda clutch as a replacement and we do them cheaper than anywhere else. However, it is a bit of a tricky job to do on the ground, if you can get access to a ramp, or a phone to call us, it makes life easier :p

How much for a genuine Honda clutch in the UK? Here in Portugal it over 400€ (343 £)... It's way too expensive, thus I am thinking in go for the LUK clutch kit...

£185 for full 3 piece clutch. Delivery to Portugal would be approx £30. So thats approx 250 euro. delivered

Thanx for the offer, but it's still too expensive, I guess I will take the risk with a LUK clutch.
I will only do the job in a couple of months, but if I change my mind, I will get in tough with you later ;)