What's new

code reader advice - engine management

hale-pope

Members
Reaction score
Car
10 i-dtec tourer ex
Hi,

Having bit of trouble with my engine management light coming on. When it comes on, the car goes into limp mode. I pull over and restart the car the and the car comes out of limp mode but the light remains on. It has done it a few times over the last few thousand miles - and once i had a test and it was the EGTs/Sensors but eventually the light always goes out and there are no issues. I use only non supermarket fuel now, on advice, and the light has been out for 2k or so but after some 'spirited driving' (may or may not be connected) it came back on again. I am sure it will go out again but it would be interesting to see if the codes are the same that come on. last time it went out after 4 or 5 clean starts in traffic (so by accident really0.

Can anyone recommend a good code reader. On ebay I have seen Pro Car Code Reader EOBD OBD-II OBD2 Diagnostic Scan Tool vehicle data ****ysis

Any one used this or can recommend another?

Thanks

Hi of course it's related, the issue is with your DPF and the spirited driving is partially clearing it and then happening again as you resume your normal driving profile.

The egt sensor is part of the DPF system and is measuring exhaust temps as one of the threshold values to calculate how full the system is.

If you are interested in having it removed, get in touch.

Cheers

Also make sure your car has had the latest software updates from Honda. I think they adjusted the software to try and improve the regeneration of the DPF. Also it needs to be running the correct 0w/30 oil compatible with the DPF, low ash oil.

I'd be nervous about removing the DPF now the MoT looks for one.

I do not really want to get rid of my DPF unless it gets totally knackered. The DPF light did come on a while ago, just after the first time the engine management light came on, and some brute force driving eventually put it out. Other than that, it has not come on, only the EML has. Odd that it came on when the car was being driven fast thought as I thought the whole idea was to drive it fast to unclog it?!
The DPF will be part of the MOT, so they say, but how they will ever know if it is there or not is beyond me (and beyond all testers and mechanics I have asked this far!)

It's totally your choice, but waiting for a DPF to fail before you take some action is a totally flawed strategy. Have a look at the link below, this turbo is from an average mileage IDTEC where the owner had the DPF regenerated a few times and was just delaying the inevitable.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.608568515880786.1073741901.148037185267257&type=3

Other components that fail include EGR valves/bypass pipework, pressure sensors, swirl flaps and anywhere else that soot can accumulate with build up of sludge. We've even had broken engines in the workshop on some VAG cars where sludge has caused oil pumps and chains to break.

The Honda software update is pants. I regenerated an Accord tonight with only 50k miles on it that has already had the update. This was the second regen he's had in a few months and he's ready to have his DPF removed. He's also an MOT tester by the way and confirmed what I already know - the new regs only apply to visual checks i.e. if the tester sees something missing that should have been there from the factory then they can fail it.

I've had a few customers put their cars through MOT and taxi test since the new regs kicked in this Feb, and there's been zero failures due to emissions.