What's new

Cold Air Induction

Paul Smith

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Type S
Evening all,

The lack of V-Tec punch in my new Type S is one thing but the lack of noise is getting to me :rolleyes:

I had a full cold air K&N intake on my Accord Type R, a friend of mine had the equivalent AEM system and both were very different.

Despite the Scottish weather I will be opting for the full intake and depending on temperatures it may also get insulated.

A quick search on flea bay popped up the following. Any opinions from those who have them fitted or have experience with them would be appreciated :)

INJEN COLD AIR INTAKE - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/INJEN-CAI-COLD-AIR-INTAKE-04-08-ACURA-TSX-4CYL-10HP-/270644295902?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f03a838de

DC SPORTS COLD AIR INTAKE - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-SPORTS-COLD-AIR-INTAKE-SYSTEM-04-07-ACURA-TSX-/380354005391?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item588edd898f

K&N TYPHOON COLD AIR INTAKE - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/K-N-TYPHOON-COLD-AIR-INTAKE-04-08-ACURA-TSX-69-0025TP-/180498038680?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a06857f98

FUJITA COLD AIR INTAKE - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fujita-CA-1007-Cold-Air-Intake-04-06-Acura-TSX-Polished-/300362240041?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item45eefc1029

I've got the aem short ram on mine. I'm from central Scotland and vowed never again to use a cold air intake. It robs too much throttle response, but mainly because when I removed mine from my old vti the filter was very damp and soggy, dispite it hadn't rained for a day or two. Plus there were rust stains on the inside of the intake pipe about 6" up the inside where water had been getting sucked up. Fair enough there was still another 2-3 feet to the throttle body but it was enough to put me off.

The best intake for power would be a sealed box like the comptech icebox, or even a modded airbox with a cold air feed. In VTEC a cold air will give the loudest noise but you will feel the lack of throttle response, even more so since you've gone from the cable throttle H22 to the drive by wire K24.

Hi Paul, i have the K+N typhoon system on my K24 but i have it in short ram setup.
I live in Glasgow and with the summers that we have i just dont have the bottle to fit the CAI, in short ram setup i can relax a bit even if the rain is torrential, (which it usually always is). You do get a great induction roar from the K+N, I have had mine on for about a year and a half and i still love it, i have had a few second looks from people when they hear the car go by under heavy throttle, you just dont really ***ume that a "family" car like the accord would make such a racket!
In the next 4 to 5 weeks i will be getting my DC sports manifold fitted, along with fastline sports cat and custom exhaust system then its off to Cramlington to get the infamous XO Power remap, hopefully all put together should transform the entire car.

^^you shouldnt be dissapointed with the remap bud with that set up you should get some decent results id imagine.

forgot to comment on the actual topic - IMHO a closed box system probably suits the nature of the Accord best, not that i do not like CAI/SRI as they can sound awesome, but unless your producing a track weapon a closed box retains some of the refinement of the accord. At lower revs on partial throttle you cannot tell that a performance intake has been installed but when you want a bit of fun stick the throttle down and you get a nice bit of noise and drama.

Hi Dan, yeah cant wait to get it all done been wanting this upgrade for over a year now, i e-mailed Gunther yesterday and asked if the remap would be stage 1 or 2 with my modifications, he said it would be stage 2. What stage was your remap, i know you also have dc mani and tsx tb, i would have thought that might have been enough to get stage 2?
Did you ever get the car back on the dyno after your map?

stage 1 as far as i know, and no i have not got around to a rollin road run yet make sure Gunther sorts you for a before and after on his dyno and post results. the Stage 1 is great i can only imagine stage 2 will be brilliant