What's new

Cold morning squeal- HELP!

mutsaip

Members
Reaction score
Car
2.4i Type S
Hi guys, my car has a squealing sound from the engine area when started on cold mornings. It always dies down when the engine warms up.

I recall reading about this problem some time ago in the old forum, but I can't seem to find it on this forum.

Can someone please advise me on how to get this sorted if you have experienced this. Cheers

Would you say the sound comes from the drivers side?

It sounds like its coming from the aux belt area on the drivers side, but I don't think it's the belt itself. I'l have a closer looker in the morning.

Please do because my car was making a similar noise this morning.

It will more than likely be you AUX belt tensioner bearing, the best way to see if it is that is to get an oil pen or a small pipe and get some oil on it
(it's not easy to get the oil in with just the normal can) if the noise stops then it should be ok for a while, when it goes completely it will make a racket all the time.

Don't spray WD40 or any thing like it on there - it will make it much worse.

Have a look on here to see what you need to look at.
http://www.hondaoriginalparts.com/honda_car_parts_selection_pfk.php?block_01=17SEA01&block_02=E__0600&block_

Thanx Andy will try that this weekend. Hope it works
biggrin.gif

It is a bit shiny brown, will replace that too.

Thanx Andy will try that this weekend. Hope it works
biggrin.gif

No problem mate, for some reason the link i posted shows a 2.2 aerodeck, even though i put my reg in on the search............bizarre.

Any way here is a photo showing the belt tensioner.

belttensioner.jpg

Have a look on here to see what you need to look at.
http://www.hondaoriginalparts.com/honda_car_parts_selection_pfk.php?block_01=17SEA01&block_02=E__0600&block_
[/quote]

Many thanks for that link, it will prove to be really useful, I can get parts for my bike as well ;)

Many thanks for that link, it will prove to be really useful, I can get parts for my bike as well :)
[/quote]

No problem - i got a few bits and bobs off them recently. really good service and very helpful if you need to speak to them.

Had that couple days ago. Just bought coper spray same as used with brake service. Sprayed few times tensioner bearing. Started car today morning when was really cold and wet and that anoying noise gone. Easy

Cheers Hanka
smile.gif
smile.gif

Sorted. I had the car serviced and the auxillary belt replaced with a new one. No more cold morning sqeals or ticking sounds now. Cheers chaps
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I would say yes. The belt cost about £27 from Honda, and was fitted by my local mechanic for £20. I hated clearing the ice of the windows in the mornings while the car was idling with that annoying squeal. Now the car is purring away quietly
smile.gif
smile.gif
i have this issue on mine too, is it advisory to get it replaced?

Mine was doing the same thing, so I took it in and the dealer replaced the belt under warranty - all is good now!

I don't think so, never enquired for that. I had it done by my trusted mechanic who runs a small garage. I have had bad service with some Honda dealers so I just prefer to keep away from them when I can.

e name='aphex-mike' timestamp='1295784016' post='30356']
you still have warranty on an 03????
[/quote]

you still have warranty on an 03????

Indeed. I bought it a month and a half ago from my local Honda dealer. It came with their standard 3 month warranty.