What's new

Cold weather

arc_irish

Members
Reaction score
Car
2005 Accord 2.0L
Hi guys. In my last car (Veccy C) the user manual recommended that the AC should be off in temperatures <4°C. In my wife's car (Galaxy) the AC is automatically turned off if the outside temperature is too low. What is the story with my Honda Accord 2.0 Ex 2005 7th gen? Thanks in Advance. M.

Just leave ours on auto...

Honda manual will tell you this: -

"Run the air conditioning at least once a week during the cold weather months. Run it for at least 10 minutes while you are driving at steady speed with the engine at normal operating temperature. This circulates the lubricating oil contained in the refrigerant."

In other words, Honda's A/C system is far better and reliable than Ford/Vauxhall lol :p B) :) :rolleyes: :D

I'm used to turning mine off as in my old car it would drop the voltage of the battery down below 10 every time I pulled up at lights!! Maybe I'll just start sticking the Honda in auto and let it deal with it. :D

Leave it on auto, with a diesel when its really cold (not sure if it's a same on petrol) and you set the temp to a high temperature it does summat clever and gets you warm air even before the engine has warmed up. Tells you about it in owners manual (diesel).

I am never convinced that actually works, but at least of gives some bragging rights over petrols :p

Leave it on auto, with a diesel when its really cold (not sure if it's a same on petrol) and you set the temp to a high temperature it does summat clever and gets you warm air even before the engine has warmed up. Tells you about it in owners manual (diesel).
I think that is the auxiliary heater ;)

Yeah but it uses the a/c to generate the heat somehow, there is not a seperate diesel powered heater.

Works off the Exhaust I though? separate heater matrix somewhere? A little research project for later methinks :D

Yeah come on Dan we know you have the resources ;)

I think..... to heat the cabin up fast the auto setting initially turns off the AC compressor to avoid cooling air entering the cabin. Thats why my windows do not clear as quick when auto is set at say 22° compared to instant clearing when set to 18°. The thermostat on the water line to the front rad remains closed until such time as the engine temp is high enough to open it and cool in the rad. With the thermostat closed the short loop heats up quickly and it is this heat that is exchanged to the heating matrix behind the dash and then into the air ducts around the cabin. There is a temp sensor in the cabin to the left of the steering wheel and this monitors the temp in the cabin for the auto setting. Just my 2 cents.

When I bought my car, I called and spoke to a honda engineer about this as I though it had broken (I ***umed it was some sort of diesel heater!). He didn't know a huge amount about it, only what he was taught on training, but from memory he said it is to do with reversing the air con unit when below 5 degrees? I've never found it that effective though, but I' sure it must help somehow!

a bit like this:

http://www.dhclimatecontrol.com/hp.htm