What's new

Combining the Executive with a Type S

skinnyman

Members
Reaction score
Car
2006 2.4 Type S
Howdy folks,

New here and yet to own an Accord, just trying to get an idea of what's possible with them.

So far from my research I've figured that the Type S is just a trim level, and they basically remove some toys from the Executive model and add the Type S bodykit and slightly different suspension instead, would this be correct? Also, I've seen that the exec comes with the 8 speaker 'superior' sound system as standard, but I've seen some Type S's with this advertised too, was this an optional extra on the Type S? Secondly, is the superior sound system found in the exec vastly better than that of the Type S?

Thirdly, if this is correct, is it a simple fix to attach the Type S bodykit to a 2.4 executive?

I'm basically after the toys from the exec with the looks of the Type S, and figured it would be easy to start with the exec as a base.

I've got up to £5k to spend on my Accord, so my logic is if the car costs me £3k I've still got a further £2k left to turn it into the car I want. I'll be lowering it either way, either with eibach springs, or the A Spec setup I've seen mentioned a few times.

Also, one last question, does anyone do any biking here? I'm into my MTB'ing and wonder if there's any chance of it fitting into the boot, if not, do people tend to use a bike rack that fits to the boot, or do they go for the roof bar option?

Sorry for all the questions!

The Type S and Exec suspension on the pre-facelift is the same. It's only on the post-facelift that there's differences.

If you bought an exec, fitted the type-s body kit, you've have the looks and the toys.

Only real difference then would be the white odometer (vs red on the Type-S) and the gear-stick (alloy versus plastic/leather)

Oh and for the biking, I've a tourer and it fits into the boot! Not sure on the saloon.

So the Type S is basically a bodykit with less toys?

How easy is it to get hold of the Type S kit? Am I right in thinking that it's just skirt and valance extensions as well rather than full bumper replacement?

I did look at the tourer as it would be ideal for biking, but they're just too big! Coming from a hatchback the saloon is big enough, but at almost 5 metres long I just don't think I could manage with the tourer, plus (in my opinion) the saloon looks alot nicer.

I don't know which I've prefer though, having the bike making a mess of the inside or outside of my car.

i got the 2.4 exec, i wanted all the creature comforts and straight away put on coil overs as it sits way too high.

I don't like tourers at all, unless you have a very large family or some mutley friends i cant see the reason to get one.

you can also get a roof rack on a saloon, probably more subtle than getting the tourer.

this is my accord here

9497060472_e28973ff3c_c.jpg

9494262439_68470c75b9_c.jpg

8625136958_6e8bc2392e_c.jpg

So the Type S is basically a bodykit with less toys?

Pre-facelift - yes. Post-facelift there are suspension changes (lowered by 15mm)

How easy is it to get hold of the Type S kit? Am I right in thinking that it's just skirt and valance extensions as well rather than full bumper replacement?
Easier for the saloon than tourer. For the saloon the Type-S bumper was actually completely different to the exec - which just added a lower skirt.

I did look at the tourer as it would be ideal for biking, but they're just too big! Coming from a hatchback the saloon is big enough, but at almost 5 metres long I just don't think I could manage with the tourer, plus (in my opinion) the saloon looks alot nicer.

I don't know which I've prefer though, having the bike making a mess of the inside or outside of my car.

The tourer is 4.75m long, that's a whole 25cm less that you'd expect. FWIW it's only 10cm longer than the saloon!! But each to their own.

This is exactly what i did to my Accord. And by the way the premium sounds system is far from premium. But worth doing for the sunroof and leather etc.

As mentioned above if you want things like a sunroof or full leather probably best go for exec.

I don't imagine much of a difference in the audio setups but they are easy and cheap to upgrade anyway for single or double din with sat nav, hands free, USB etc etc. I've upgraded including a full speaker swap and the improvement is huge.

As said the body styling and the suspension are the other main differences. I don't imagine it being easy to find a full factory spec type s kit unless you were prepared to pay dealer prices. Primed aftermarket or second hand and you could be looking at fitment problems or damage. With regard to the suspension and ride high on either you will probably want to change it anyway. On your last one about bikes I think there are options to carry bikes externally on all 7th gen models from Honda and the leading manufactures so wouldn't worry about that. You may get a bike in the back of the tourer but not the saloon.

Hope this helps

So to summarise:

The Exec front bumper and Type S front bumper are actually completely different?
The rear bumper/skirts are just a valance on the Type S that has been added to the standard bumper?
Don't worry too much about the sound system or ride height (I'll be changing both)

The FL Type S added premium sound system and HFT over the PFL, but both of these are also on the FL Exec?

So basically, if talking about PFL and ignoring the sound system, is essentially a case of heated leather & Satnav vs bodykit? Hmmmmm. What to do what to do.

A FL Type S would be a good compromise between the 2 in terms of spec (if you can find one) but I'm not sure I can justify the price difference. I'm finding £1500-£2000 difference from say an 05 Type S to an 06.

Why can't I just be 'normal' and buy a run of the mill car instead of being so particular with my requirements!!

Like I say facelift Type-S hold their value, they are a very rare car and difficult to find in any condition, Exec's are two a penny but still fetch similar money in Facelift form

The Exec front bumper and Type S front bumper are actually completely different? YES
The rear bumper/skirts are just a valance on the Type S that has been added to the standard bumper? YES
Don't worry too much about the sound system or ride height (I'll be changing both)

The FL Type S added premium sound system and HFT over the PFL, but both of these are also on the FL Exec?YES

So basically, if talking about PFL and ignoring the sound system, is essentially a case of heated leather & Satnav vs bodykit? Hmmmmm. One more thing, the PFL Exec has factory (read proper) HIDs installed by default with levellers and washers. The FL Exec no longer has these unless you go Auto with ADAS. The Type-S Pre/Post never had these.

So they too the HID's off the exec at FL?

How strange.

Whether pre or post FL its a matter of toys vs style by the sounds of things. Decisions decisions

So they took the HID's off the exec at FL?
Yep - exec went with Halogen as standard. The only way the exec has HID on the FL was if it has ADAS - and this was only available as an option on an 2.4 automatic.

Well that makes sense...............

Odds are stacking in favour of an Exec model for me I reckon. Seems much easier to attempt to add the Type S features to the Exec than vice versa.

That reminds me, I have another question (surprisingly). I'm guessing it's quite easy to remove and re-cover the lovely blue marble type effect sections of the centre console?

That reminds me, I have another question (surprisingly). I'm guessing it's quite easy to remove and re-cover the lovely blue marble type effect sections of the centre console?

Yep, it's pretty much stuck on!