What's new

Conked out!

Wab

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda accord
Hi guys. Here I am again. I love this car but I am starting to lose patients now. I have had numerous niggles since I bought the car but nothing serious. A couple of weeks ago the alternator failed. I replaced that and the battery was replaced a month or so before that.
After starting it today I drove about a third of a mile and stopped at some lights, when I went to pull away the car stuttered and died. It will start but when you press the accelerator it shutters and cuts out again. It has had the ignition switch replaced in the last couple of years also by the po.
Any ideas before I call out the breakdown people?
Thanks in advance.

Have you had any engine management lights on? A third of a mile probably wouldn't have computed the o2 readings I'd say, or can you remember if the engine was hot/cold when it happened?

I had some hesitation issues recently which turned out to be a dodgy fuel line job, however the things I was looking for was basically fuel, air and spark. Briefly I investigated the spark plugs, plug leads, air filter, throttle body, cylinder leakage.

What like is the service history or the milage? It probably won't be a big issue, but it could be a number of things and will be probably harder to find than it will to fix!!

The car has done 120000. No lights on prior to breakdown. The car was cold as it hadn't been used since the day before.

What about service consumables? Air filter, spark plugs, fuel filter etc. Just trying eliminate the easy stuff first.

What engine size and model please buddy?
Have u checked the dizzy cap and rotor arm??

I'd also check the maf or map sensor dependent on which your engine has buddy.

If it was when engine was at running temp id check the camshaft positioning sensor

Wab said:
Sorry the reply is late. This turned out to be the distributor cap being a bit fubared. :)
I suspected the same, Hondas only really suffer from them

Hmm I think this problem has just happend to me, was driving at 30mph engine warm car running ok then when I put my foot on the gas the rpm's droped to 1k then she just died and wouldn't start up again just cranking over? Car is on 140k miles.

Well I've just been towed back home 'again' and done a few tests on it she's not sparking that's for sure, and I seem to be getting enough voltage to the coil when turning over, so what could this be? Crank sensor? If so where is it located so I can test it thanks.

So no spark at the plugs (I'm guessing that's where you checked?) but any spark at the end of the king lead (from coil to dizzy)?

I'm sure these cars have a ignition relay which suffers from a dry solder joint.

Update. I've had the dizzy cap off and cranked the car over with a screw driver a few MM away from the tip of the coil, so it has to be the rotor arm or cap.