What's new

Cooling problem?

AndyB1976

Members
Reaction score
Car
2002 F18B2 CG8
Hello guys

My lower radiator hose seems to take an age to warm, took it around 25min drive earlier and still no heat in it. I've been keeping an eye on it for the last couple of short trips but thought that slightly longer drive may have showed a different result.

Now there are no wild engine temp changes, the needle sits just below half as usual. The coolant is filled to the neck of the radiator and to the guide on the expansion tank.

I popped on a Spill Free Funnel to the radiator (the oneEric The Car Guy uses) and a small amount of coolant came up into the funnel - maybe around 100ml but it wasn't sloshing about. I thought there may have been evident coolant movement.

I ran the engine for a good 10-15mins with this funnel on and nothing happened, no fans, no additional coolant movement, engine temperature gauge as usual. Then I took my multimeter that measures temperature and measured the coolant that was up in the funnel and it was a steady 62degrees Celsius.

I don't know if I'm just being paranoid lol...Does it sound like a stuck thermostat or water pump failure or just a case of paranoia. I'm fearing each longer test drive to diagnose could end up killing the engine if there is indeed a problem :unsure:

Andy

I would go for a stuck thermostat, it's quite cheap and easy to replace.

Cheers Pedro,

Just ordered one, its still original so probably a good idea to replace anyway at 10yrs old.

thanks

Andy

Yeah, I guess it's best stick to Honda.

Do you know how much will it be?

Just awaiting a quote from Holdcroft..

Does seem a bit expensive using here as a guide http://www.hondaoriginalparts.com/honda_car_parts_selection_pfk.php?block_01=17S1T01&block_02=E__1501&block_03=2653 :eek:

What spec car have you got? If it's the one with the climate control then if that is on 32 degrees (max) then the fans will not come on and I am pretty sure that the coolant won't be pumped around alot.

When on 32 degrees the car will just try to keep on getting the cabin as hot as possible.

I noticed this when I changed the coolant last week, the car was running for over half an hour and the fans still didn't kick in.

Hi Colin,

Just basic aircon in mine. There are no problems with heat (after a few mins) or cold into the cabin. Pressing the A/C button brings both fans into operation.

I'm just a bit confused that it appears NOT to be overheating according to the engine temp gauge. The top hose is hot (as expected) yet the lower hose is basically stone cold (expecting some heat) so was thinking either the pump impeller had failed and wasn't circulating coolant or the thermostat had stuck.

I thought a stuck closed thermostat would move the needle into the overheating warning, or a stuck open thermo would lack sufficient engine and cabin heating but seem to have neither of these symptoms.

I'm going to replace the thermostat, seal (both 10yrs old) and renew and bleed the coolant (2yrs old).