What's new

Corroded airbox screws

Superman001

Members
Reaction score
Car
6th & 7th Gen Accord
Just thought as I had the week off I would get a bit of maintenance on the cars done and thought id change the air filter on the CL7 today but nothing is going to plan this week.

The screws to the airbox lid are totally corroded and started to disintegrate when I tried to undo them. So despite having full Honda service history when I bought the car last month that doesn't bode well for Honda as it shows the air filter doesn't get checked because even if the filter didn't need changing they would have noticed that the screws were badly corroded and replaced them.

Sorry for the rant, any suggestions on how I should approach the removal of the screws would be more than welcome.

Edit- whats even more confusing is that item number 16 on the diagram which is the screws has 2 part numbers and 2 different prices and im unsure which is correct?

http://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_car_parts_selection_pfk.php?block_01=17SEA01&block_02=B__0100&block_03=2945

Actually the above post can be deleted as I have already sorted the issue, new K&N filter fitted and new screws ordered ready to collect from Phoenix Honda Saturday AM.

Quick question. Did you actually ring the dealer who claim to have serviced the car?

TypeR said:
Quick question. Did you actually ring the dealer who claim to have serviced the car?
No the last service at 77k was done in November before I bought the car. If the corroded screws had been mentioned to the previous owner I don't think they would have been worried as they were the sort of person to put mismatched budget tyres on the rears and thats why I replaced them with Michelin's yesterday.

That doesn't matter when it was done. Question is did you verify the service history?

TypeR said:
That doesn't matter when it was done. Question is did you verify the service history?

No at the time I bought it I didn't phone the dealership that it was last serviced at to check that it had been carried out correctly, not that they would give a damn about a 9 year old car.

I probably spent 30 minutes or so checking the car before buying but sometimes you miss these things and without an inspection mirror, tools, axle stands you are not going to notice everything.

If I take a my car to a garage I haven't used before to have a service done I will ask to see any defective parts they have replaced. Most people just don't check, or care or are too trusting and I bet half the things that are supposed to be checked don't even get looked at.

Anyway it doesn't matter as I have managed to get the corroded screws off with a socket and will be collecting the replacement parts from Phoenix Honda on Saturday morning.

Your missing my point here. Are you sure them stamps you have in the book are genuine and whether this car has been maintained as it says.

Rule of thumb before purchasing a car do ring the dealer who has serviced it to actually make sure it was actually.serviced. At least I do that before buying any car

TypeR said:
Your missing my point here. Are you sure them stamps you have in the book are genuine and whether this car has been maintained as it says.

Rule of thumb before purchasing a car do ring the dealer who has serviced it to actually make sure it was actually.serviced. At least I do that before buying any car
I see your point and will make sure that I do that in future but that will only verify that the stamps are genuine Honda stamps and not that it has been maintained correctly. I only trust one garage with my cars and don't have any faith in dealerships.

Funny enough, my airbox screws are rusty as well. I didn't spot this either when I bought may car 3 weeks ago. I've had to buy a new airbox.