What's new

corrosion

Womble

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord tourer 2003
The underbody of my car has the usual surface corrosion. It isn't a problem as such but I would like to do something about it. Has anyone ever applied underseal to their accord, or am I better off just leaving it exposed, rather than trapping it to fester unseen?

I plan on undersealing mine.

Im going to removed any loose rust then just coat with under seal i bought from halfords. Hammerite with waxoyl

The black underseal should do the trick.

As long as you can stop water/air getting to it then it should stop the rust spreading; or have i got this bit wrong?

thedooor said:
The black underseal should do the trick.

As long as you can stop water/air getting to it then it should stop the rust spreading; or have i got this bit wrong?
You will need to remove as much of the rot as possible with a flap disk, clean and dry the area, then apply something like "Krust" that will kill the rust. THEN coat with underseal/waxoyl and top it up every so often.

Swedish newspaper "Expressen" recently made a survey of car owner's experience with rust. They asked people who owned cars from 2006 and newer. I was surprised to see Honda low on the list, with 12% reported rust problems. Top of the list were Porsche (0%), Mercedes, Audi, BMW and Volvo who all had 2-4%. Bottom of the list was Kia.

Another option is using a red oxide paint on the corroded areas. Little is talked about this in the automotive industry but is used extensively in the marine industry.

Iv got some rust on the bottom of my drivers door, I put wax oil on it and it's not got any bigger etc, that was around 6 months ago, but do intend to get it sorted properly one day, not sure how rust got there in the first place, I would also like to know about any special things that can treat rust

Corbie said:
Swedish newspaper "Expressen" recently made a survey of car owner's experience with rust. They asked people who owned cars from 2006 and newer. I was surprised to see Honda low on the list, with 12% reported rust problems. Top of the list were Porsche (0%), Mercedes, Audi, BMW and Volvo who all had 2-4%. Bottom of the list was Kia.
can u post the article please.

unless i have read this wrongly as it is a bit cryptic
Mercedes without RUST problems........... i don't believe it.....