What's new

Coupe 3.0i V6 economy?

SlowV6

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Coupe 3.0V6
Hello There,

I'm a newbie! I have posted an entry on the Newbies forum to say hi.

I have just got myself a 1999 Coupe 3.0i V6 as my toy. I absolutely love it. It is by far the most relaxing and refined car I have ever owned.

I was just wondering what MPG other owners are getting from their V6's? Mine managed about 22MPG from the first 80miles or so of a tank, comprised of a motorway drive (80ish with a few smiles moments) and a few short runs. Aircon always on.

Is this about the going rate, as the official "mixed" says 26mpg?

Car runs beautifully. No indications (from my limited technical skillset) that anything at all is wrong.

Thanks!

Depending on driving style, 22mpg is nearly about right with the aircon always on. That is what saps most of the mpg on the 6th gens.

A couple of other things to check though:

Do you know when the car last had new plugs, leads, oil change, fuel filter change? Checked the air filter isn't full of rubbish? Could need a brush out. Also are the tyres inflated correctly?

Take it in turns with each wheel - jack the car up and see if it spins freely. This will tell you if there are binding brakes etc. But when doing the rears remember to take the handbrake off. I did this a few weeks ago to check everything was as it should be and couldn't work out why the rears weren't spinning, turns out i'd left the brake on :blush: You will also be able to hear if your bearings are running smoothly.

While the cars up on a jack it might be worth checking the CV boots too.

Hope this helps.

Simon.

Depending on driving style, 22mpg is nearly about right with the aircon always on. That is what saps most of the mpg on the 6th gens.

A couple of other things to check though:

Do you know when the car last had new plugs, leads, oil change, fuel filter change? Checked the air filter isn't full of rubbish? Could need a brush out. Also are the tyres inflated correctly?

Take it in turns with each wheel - jack the car up and see if it spins freely. This will tell you if there are binding brakes etc. But when doing the rears remember to take the handbrake off. I did this a few weeks ago to check everything was as it should be and couldn't work out why the rears weren't spinning, turns out i'd left the brake on :blush: You will also be able to hear if your bearings are running smoothly.

While the cars up on a jack it might be worth checking the CV boots too.

Hope this helps.

Simon.

Thanks Simon - appreciated. I will check for all those items on the invoices for the last service or two. Tyre pressure, air filter and wheel-spinning I'll check myself at weekend.

I know it's an old thread, I took my V6 coupe out over the weekend and did a varied mixed style of driving and got on average of 34mpg. Well chuffed :)

I know it's an old thread, I took my V6 coupe out over the weekend and did a varied mixed style of driving and got on average of 34mpg. Well chuffed :)

How on Earth did you manage that? You weren't being towed by another car or have retrofitted a hybrid drive have you? :lol:

I've stuck myself at 60mph over 100 miles on a motorway (yawn) and managed about 30mpg doing the brim to brim test. Official figures max this car out at about 32mpg don't they?

In 3 months my MPG has ranged from 23 to 17 MPG though I havent really had any long runs to try and get the MPG up.

When a car is this nice to drive though the MPG is a secondary issue :)

How on Earth did you manage that? You weren't being towed by another car or have retrofitted a hybrid drive have you? :lol:

I've stuck myself at 60mph over 100 miles on a motorway (yawn) and managed about 30mpg doing the brim to brim test. Official figures max this car out at about 32mpg don't they?

I really don't know, lol. I have a small Japanese car for work and official figures say that I should get 49mpg and I always achieve above 55mpg. I guess it must be my driving style.

Although I did take it for a good spin today and the mpg dropped, pulled like a train. :lol:

In 3 months my MPG has ranged from 23 to 17 MPG though I havent really had any long runs to try and get the MPG up.

When a car is this nice to drive though the MPG is a secondary issue :)

I agree ;)

Yes. Probably the best car I've ever owned all things considered.

Me too and probably the reason why I have gone back to owning a Honda after a ten year gap. Got to admit the more I drive the car the more I enjoy the relaxation of driving it. :D

Me too and probably the reason why I have gone back to owning a Honda after a ten year gap. Got to admit the more I drive the car the more I enjoy the relaxation of driving it. :D

Funnily enough I test drove a 2009 2 litre ES auto which had all the toys. Nice car, but I much prefer the extra power and softer ride of my Coupe.

When the Coupe was released, the reception it got was lukewarm. But as a 10 year old + buy theres nothing, absolutely nothing that can match it.

Funnily enough I test drove a 2009 2 litre ES auto which had all the toys. Nice car, but I much prefer the extra power and softer ride of my Coupe.

When the Coupe was released, the reception it got was lukewarm. But as a 10 year old + buy theres nothing, absolutely nothing that can match it.

Aye couldn't agree more to be honest, the only thing I could see replacing the Coupe is one of the later legends.

The coupe would be a keeper if the gearbox was better put together :(

Hi,

I've had the coupe, if it's serviced fully with tranny fluid changed on the auto, you can get into 24s/25s - It's quite surprising when you're being a granny but anything heavy footed & it will respond like godzilla and guzzle the tank in less than 200 miles.

Overall a very very nice luxo-barge lol, the bonnet is absolutely huuuge!