What's new

Cracked Manifold rewelded

tony32

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord CTDI
Since owning the car we have had to have the cabin recirculation on all the time as soon as you turn it off you got gassed with exhaust fumes, did some research about the problem and found out that the original manifolds had a common fault due to them being made up with several sections, and welded together. Typically our car had 134k on the clock when we bought it so missed out on the Honda warranty repair, luckily I’m pretty good with a spanner so today I whipped the turbo and manifold off to see what’s happened.

Pic of one of the cracks (manifold still on the car)

Photo0219.jpg

Before :)

P1010267.jpg

Cleaned up the manifold looks like just one of the ports has cracked, small crack on the outside and all the way round on the inside, all welded up now just need to dress the welds and pressure test it.
Will get some more pics tomorrow of the welding.

IMAG0229.jpg

Rather you than me bud - but well done!

Were you as shocked as I was on the quality of the original welds?

I've had a MIG welder in my garage for about 3 years now and never used it yet. Well done for this and saved a fortune.

Rather you than me bud - but well done!

Were you as shocked as I was on the quality of the original welds?

To be honest I think the whole manifold is pretty shocking, none of the welds are dressed back all the port sizes are all different! Not seen the new cast manifold but I’m guessing it's better than their first attempt.

its much better!.....i wouldnt suggest even attempting a re-weld myself, although i dont know the price of the new item?

super job and i bet it saved a few pounds

Well it's cost me nothing apart from a few gaskets and my time, so worth a go, if it cracks again i will pay the money for a new one.

Tony.
thats a very good job! its something that i feel will be more common as the diesels get older and unknowing owners find this H&S issue arrise.

Good job that. Hope it holds up for you as the weld will be harder than the steel used on the manifold and will be prone to cracking again. I had an on going problem on a BMW 318is e36 that had a cracked manifold. £850 for the manifold from BMW so had to get the thing welded a couple of times as they were like hens teeth second hand.

Got the car finished today and running better than ever, no leaks!!

Honda had put an inch of weld on each end of the manifold which had cracked both sides so ground down the weld and re did it, I welded right round the end to add more strength.

Before

IMAG0229.jpg

After grinding out the Honda weld.

IMAG0232.jpg

My weld

IMAG0234.jpg

Next was to fix the port that had cracked all the way round on the inside, firstly I used a burr to grind the ordinal weld back to nothing, then rewelded.

IMAG0239.jpg

Added extra weld to the outside on this port as it was leaking loads.

IMAG0240.jpg

I then pressure tested it and found another small leak so plugged that too. Tip for anyone doing this job, put safety goggles or glasses on when working under the car I didn't and got oil in my eye while lifting the turbo back onto the manifold when my temporary bung came out.

Took the car for a run after and it feels great smoother idle as well, time will tell how the welds hold out but should be better than it was. Does anyone know if the ecu learns or just has preset values? As I had the battery disconnected while working on it.

The ECU is self learning bud...

Fantastic Tony.

I'm moving this to the DIY section as it adds to our extensive knowledge base. Keep up posted on how well it holds out.

Next you'll be installing your own clutch and timing chain ;)

I await the DIY's with baited breath.

Nice work Tony.

I have the same issue on my Accord with 121,000 on the clock (smoke tested the exhaust yesterday)

I read somewhere that honda will cover this fault up to 7 years or 125,000 miles. Can anybody verify this please?

What is the best way of trying to get this work carried out by Honda, dealer or direct to Honda?

Many thanks

Daz.

Nice work Tony.

I have the same issue on my Accord with 121,000 on the clock (smoke tested the exhaust yesterday)

I read somewhere that honda will cover this fault up to 7 years or 125,000 miles. Can anybody verify this please?

What is the best way of trying to get this work carried out by Honda, dealer or direct to Honda?

Many thanks

Daz.

I think you’re just within the extended warranty, so get it down to a dealer asap before you go over the millage limit. :)

Yes this should be covered Darren. It is 7 yrs or 125,000 miles. Get down your dealer asap before it hist the magical mileage.

Darren, check the sticky threads in the diesel faults section. Your car is covered.

Not been on here for a while so thought I would update this, car has done about 3k since rewelding the manifold as has been fine since, mpg has improved also.

Excellent - Tony, on a serious note why not offer this as a service to our members ;) You could make a mint.

Excellent - Tony, on a serious note why not offer this as a service to our members ;) You could make a mint.

If the manifold was already off then I would do it but don't really have time to do the whole job. Busy restoring an 88 Astra GTE :)