What's new

Crankshaft pulley failure

Euan

Members
Reaction score
Car
Sport GT Tourer
Hi. I thought I'd post the details of the problem I had recently and the fix. When starting the car I got nasty periodic grinding/knocking noise followed by some smoke from the drivers side of the engine bay. This noise then disappeared for a day before coming back with a vengance. This turned out to the crankshaft pulley (aka. harmonic balancer) that drives the aux belt. A new part is about £350 (only available from Honda) while a 2nd hand part is about £100. The new redesigned shorter aux belt was about £45.

The pulley has metal on the inside and outside with rubber sandwiched in between. The rubber disintegrated allowing metal bits to hit/grind off each other.

Apparently the Honda breakers yard said it was a common fault and they keep them on the shelf. There was some mention on this forum of it being a common problem in Poland but no-one from the UK seemed to know anything about it.

if you are refering to the crank pully itself ive seen it once on a crv but not on an accord as yet. may well become a more common problem as the ictdi engine gets older, its obvious what the problem is though when it happens.

After speaking to Honda today i can confirm this is quite a common problem it is age related or wear and tear they advised me to watch mine as it is wearing away but ok at the moment and could be ok for another year but they do have them in stock.