What's new

cree led sidelights

rhinogolf

Members
Reaction score
Car
7th&8th gen tourers
After a bit of advice lads I'm buying some Cree led sidelights noticed I can get up to 25watt am I right in thinking the more watt the brighter they will be.

i'm pretty sure that is the case with them. Cree are generally brighter anyway. How bright do you want them?

I'm wanting brightest I can get so i can use as low beam as well

25 w will be far to bright and dazzle on come traffic.
Iv got Cree 3w and are perfect for side lights on the 8th gen as the position of the lamps are straight ahead

A sidelight bulb that consumed 25W would probably melt the plastic ***embly, due the heat generated. But an LED sidelight bulb that emitted the equivalent light of a 25W filament bulb (e.g. a typical halogen) would probably work OK but would be ridiculously bright, given that a standard sidelight bulb is only 5W... I would think this might attract the attention of the police!

The Cree led I was looking at cone with a projector lense, would you think this would cause dazzle as well, maybe I should look at the 11.5. Watt what your thoughts

rhinogolf said:
The Cree led I was looking at cone with a projector lense, would you think this would cause dazzle as well, maybe I should look at the 11.5. Watt what your thoughts
Just sent you a link Dave on your pm inbox

I think any bulb with a light output much greater than OEM would look odd and may attract unwelcome interest. The only reason I can think of for having LED sidelights is to match the light temperature (colour/'whiteness') of whatever headlamp bulbs you have fitted.

Jon_G said:
I think any bulb with a light output much greater than OEM would look odd and may attract unwelcome interest. The only reason I can think of for having LED sidelights is to match the light temperature (colour/'whiteness') of whatever headlamp bulbs you have fitted.
Bang on Jon I have Hids so the leds are the same coloure

Cheers lads they won't be brighter than the hids I've already got from horizon, I was just after some bright sidelights for driving round town on a evening saving my hids as I can't believe turning on/off over 30+ times a night can be good for then and i can get into the sidelights without taking the bloody bumper off.
Loking at yours brett i could easily get away with them

Don't go for the high wattage ones with projector built in.

I only got the 7.5w and am being flashed mainly by lorry and bus drivers because of the angle of the side light sicket. They point upwards so they get the full brightness.

Have seen some reflector less on horizon that may be better as light will be less intense and better spread.

Mine also don't quote match 5000k hids as well as I expected.

Had anyone done anything with main beam Leds? There are some very bright options available now. I do a lot of B road driving so want to improve visibility.

I went for cree only for the rear side and brake lights (7443) and the 3rd brake light (7440), as these really do require to be as bright as possible. As for the front side light, I went for a set of warm white 10led which are not cree (uses 2w of power), and they more than suffice for the job. Went for warm colours to match ordinary yellow filament dip lights because I find ordinary yellow bulbs the brightest.