What's new

Ctdi clutch advice

Mutley_m

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord CTDI sport
Hi all. Just got the CTdI and it has 75k on the clock, under extreme load the clutch slips for a second then bites in high gears so want to nip it in the bud.
Found an LUK clutch kit at a local factors for £95 so am happy with that. Found a garage that will do the job for cash too. Couple of questions:
1/ do they need any special tools to change the clutch?
2/ my clutch pedal feels a bit 'notchy' if that makes sense, only very faint, any idea?

Thanks a lot in advance

Lee

My mate has a garage and put a new LUK clutch in my Accord with no probs (no special tools) the notchy feel will probably go when new clutch fitted.

Hopefully they'll check that your DMF is OK while they're changing the clutch, and replace it if necessary (free play is the key issue, I believe it should be 6mm to 36mm).

Not sure what might be causing the notchiness.

Honda definitely use a special tool to ensure that the pressure plate self-adjusting mechanism is correctly pre-loaded (see Fahad's picture-heavy thread showing his clutch being replaced by Holdcroft Honda). I've heard that this tool can be successfully improvised, but I've also heard that if this pre-loading isn't done properly then the clutch may begin slipping premature. You do hear of people whose replacement clutches have failed early and I do wonder if this is why. But I'm not suggesting your mate did your's wrong Cliff!