What's new

Cycle rack on tourer

assettt

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Tourer EX
With the improving weather i'll be lugging the bikes around and need a 3 cycle rack for use with the tourer. Any suggestions on best makes/brands and opinions on roof mounted or boot mounted. PS. 1 adult mountain bike and 2 kid bikes. Thanks

I wouldn't put it on the power tailgate personally. The motor and Struts aren't designed to lift any more weight than the tailgate itself. So either a trailer or roof mounted cycle racks.

I bougth 2 barracuda bicycle holders. Honda used the exact same ones, placed their stickers on top and overpriced them. I used them multiple times, and i'm very happy with them.

I don't use a boot mounted one due to the top lip on the boot is the plastic spoiler so it's not a secure fit.

I don't have roof rails so I'm stuck there too.

Usually I just through my mth straight in the boot with the seats down.

7th Gen Tourer said:
I don't use a boot mounted one due to the top lip on the boot is the plastic spoiler so it's not a secure fit.

I don't have roof rails so I'm stuck there too.

Usually I just through my mth straight in the boot with the seats dow
nick said:
No tow bar I'm guessing?
Ideally I would prefer a boot mounted one since it's easier to manipulate but worried about the tailgate. i do have a tow bar but never really considered that option. Thanks for that. Ebay here i come.

I have read somewhere that if you put a rack on the tailgate on these cars, there is a big risk that the tailgate will shift on the hinges, and then the motor will forever struggle to open the tailgate until the tailgate is re-aligned on the hinges.

***ettt said:
Ideally I would prefer a boot mounted one since it's easier to manipulate but worried about the tailgate. i do have a tow bar but never really considered that option. Thanks for that. Ebay here i come.
Definitely get a tow bar one. So easy and secure compared to a strap on tailgate one.

I have used the Witter single pole bike rack on the back of my cars for years.

It has its own dedicated plate that you bolt between the towball and towbar so you need longer bolts but it does hold 3 full size mountain bikes comfortably.

Well the rack you see on my profile picture is a 3 bike carrier rack. It is by far the best rack. It's a saris. Ill try find a link for you. Took bike on a 400 round trip no issues on the tourer. I've had 3 bikes on it before on a 400 mile round trip without issues.

Link below. I've used this on at least 4 cars including saloons and hatchbacks. It's solid. The plastic straps are concealed with steel so cannot be cut and the straps have a rachet mechanism to tighten them. One a plus side I have also put up some brackets on my garage wall and the rack clamps on to my garage wall where I hang 2 bikes saves space. It's an awesome rack and easy and simple to use. Everyone who sees it is very impressed with it. Cost a few quid but worth every penny. I have though seen used ones sell on eBay for well under 100.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B001BEHWDW/ref=mp_s_a_1_10?qid=1429307467&sr=8-10&pi=AC_SX110_SY165&keywords=saris+bike+rack

Just seen your post regarding bike racks.

I had same problem, bought a halfords boot one one for about £80 and it fell off!

Best ones definitely go on tow bar ,then no weight worries.

I eventually went with a Thule aero-bar roof rack :

https://roofracks.co.uk/Thule-Fit-Guide/_-/?make=Honda&model=Accord-Tourer&type=Estate&rails=without-roof-rails&modelYear=2004-to-2007&id=2

and separate Thule bike carriers:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Thule-ProRide-591-Bike-Rack-Bicycle-Cycle-Carrier-Roof-Mounted-Thule591-/321728256715?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4ae87f9acb

But not a cheap option, but at the time a tow-bar kit was around £300+ so worked out the same for me.

Although you can get the bike racks Used on E-bay all the time and will work with most roof-racks,

Also the Thule system is just different leg/feet for each car so you can always transfer most of the roof-rack and bike racks to another vehicle.

Roof-rack has also been handy for fitted a aerobox when going on holiday.

Was also paranoid about someone rear ending me and bikes would not be insured :eek: I guess.

Couple months back, i paid €300 for the lot you see on the picture ;( used as well

It's here tomorrow i hope it fits, if it doesn't fit the tourer it will show up in the sale section here.

f2raf said:
It's here tomorrow i hope it fits, if it doesn't fit the tourer it will show up in the sale section here.
Just googled the tourer and they're might be a chance it fits. I thought all tourer's came with factory roof bars. If yours has them, it clearly won't fit.

ok got em, i thought they would have clamped on to the existing roof bars, they may fit if existing bars are removed? or if i can get a clamp to make them fit on the existing bars..hmmm

They do have a label on the thoug which says Accord 03 4d

Saloon is 4 door, you have a 5 door.
They do fit when you are able to remove the existing roof bars. The big oval pieces are placed on the roof itself, the hooks are ment to slide in the door opening and keep it al tight.

hmmm, not sure i want ot remove the existing roof bars, the car wouldnt look good asthetically! and its a real hastle. Ive noticed some roof bars are designed to fit over roof rails, I wonder if i could just buy a set of bars to fit on roof rails or if i can buy the end feet/clamps to convert these so that they do fit over the rails.
some digging around to do.

Good luck. No matter how you solve it, with such a bargain you always have it cheaper then buying a 'normal priced' used set.

I need a set of roof bars which fit roof rails, these cycle carrier can be fitted to them. problem solved. I have put these roof bars only (not cycle carriers) up for sale in the for sale section, open to offers