What's new

DA Polisher

Wehaveaccord

Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.0l i-VTEC
Just a quick review for the Guild Polisher - this is the Argos own brand name but I think it is also available under different names. I picked mine up from ebay for £40 but you can get them new for about £50 with 2 year guarantee.

The polisher is reasonably heavy which is OK for flat surfaces but a bit more noticeable on the vertical parts. It comes with a 6" backing plate and 7" pad so you may wish to invest another £30 or so in 5" and 3" plates and pads.

Using the polisher is very straight forward with a low speed for spreading the polish and higher speeds for buffing - although the cord is only 2m so some care is needed. The results were very good - the large pad provided a noticeably better finish than a hand polish and is quite quick. The smaller pads take a lot longer but the finish is even better - so you takes your choices.

At no time did the polisher seem out of control or grabby and soon instilled confidence in using it.

My ns front wing paint finish not quite as perfect as rest of car....i wonder if one of these buffers would restore it? Did you buy the machine for same reason? Never used one always waxed by hand but its hard work lol

TBH I bought it to correct some scratches in a headlight where someone had used a scourer to clean it - I tried a light polish without much improvement then applied a more severe polish and that got rid of them leaving the headlight looking really good.

I'm not an expert but if the ns fw paint is dull because of wear to the top coat then the DA will clean it up nicely. You can always apply a mild polish first as I did with the headlight.

I always used to hand polish/wax but am sold on the polisher - however my body did ache after doing the car in one afternoon so it's still hard work!

My ns headlight unit was dull so used toothpaste gently massaged in for half an hour.Result was a crystal clear lens with much improved headlamp performance.You are spot on about my wing it is the laquer finish making a little duller than elsewhere....barely noticable and no cracks or peeling.As such i need to find the best product to fix it....a conventional wax may only give a temporary shine? Could masking off and re laquering be the best way....depends if paint beneath damaged too?

My ns headlight unit was dull so used toothpaste gently massaged in for half an hour.Result was a crystal clear lens with much improved headlamp performance.You are spot on about my wing it is the laquer finish making a little duller than elsewhere....barely noticable and no cracks or peeling.As such i need to find the best product to fix it....a conventional wax may only give a temporary shine? Could masking off and re laquering be the best way....depends if paint beneath damaged too?

A good polish should do the job of getting the shine back to something like. Then you can seal it with a wax or ceramic sealant.

A good polish should do the job of getting the shine back to something like. Then you can seal it with a wax or ceramic sealant.
Ordered a good quality bottle of turtle wax so ill see if that brings it back too life? I have tackled many things on this car since i bought it and i always keep it spotless inside/out but a full body wax is one job ive never got around to doing...im sure it will benefit from it!

btw can you offer any tips on how to use the buffing tool you bought ie best chemicals if any to use and which pads/discs do what job? im tempted to buy the machine but honestly no clue lol wouldn't want to mark/burn my paintwork etc
thanks in advance

I watched youtube videos of the various stages which gave me the confidence to start.

I gave the car a good wash and rinsed off all the dirt thoroughly. Next you need to clay bar the paintwork - I used a £5 clay bar with a slightly more concentrated bowl of the car wash to act as a lubricant.

You should then be left with a bodywork that is very smooth to the touch.

Then all you need to do is apply liquid polish as per the videos - if you keep the pad moving over the surface with just the weight of the machine pressing down there should be no problem at all.

Final stage is then a hand application of wax and either hand or machine buff to a polish.

I just used the bog standard pads and plates - you could get away with just using the 7" pad supplied if you wanted.

(NB - always turn the machine on/off with the pad on the paintwork otherwise the revolving pad will throw off a fine spray everywhere).

Brill great tips there thankyou! Im thinking maybe massage wax in by hand and use the machine to buff up and finish with a deep shine.I see youtube has plenty videos showing the way to do it so ill watch a few then like you ill have a feel for the job.Just need to decide which machine to buy and whether to get the whole kit or just buy the discs/pads i actually need seperate....latter seems cheaper.