What's new

DAB Radio

davecmr

Members
Reaction score
Car
Tourer Sport Diesel
Is the factory Sat Nav/Radio/CD unit made by Alpine? Anyone know if there is an option to get something so that you can get DAB radio stations through it?

Ok cool thanks for the quick reply didnt know if Alpine did a receiver box of tricks that you could plug in. Like you say wait and see what happens to it. Is there an Aux input somewhere on the unit as there's a button for CD/Aux, also do you know what the model number is of the head unit (56 plate facelift).

DAB will be mothballed for sure... What a carp idea! On my FM radio IN THE VAN FFS I can hear the production team chatter in the headphones of the Today programme presenters.

According to the old Labour government, ****og radio transmitters will be turned off in 2015. If that is the case you will need DAB to listen to radio.

If that does happen it will really Suck and mean millions having to do something with their radio :D

According to the old Labour government, ****og radio transmitters will be turned off in 2015. If that is the case you will need DAB to listen to radio.

If that does happen it will really Suck and mean millions having to do something with their radio :lol:

The uk went and jumped on the first generation of DAB before the technology was right IMO.

The majority of europe waited til 2nd gen DAB was in operation before moving over. Unfortunately the two aren't compatible.

Faced with competing standards the majority of car manufacturers have chosen to do nothing until a winner is clear.

That said i still reckon the ****ogue will be turned off as it frees up more space for hd tv over freeview.

There is probably going to be a booming market in DAB upgrades and while i haven't had a proper play in the 8th gen yet i'd be surprised if there wasn't some kind of USB or audio connection under the arm rest.

I'd just like the option to be able to plug a headphone jack in somewhere and press Aux on the head unit and get the music to come out. Then I could plug in a DAB radio if I wanted.

From what I understand there is a USB port on the 8th gen.... or is it just an option?

Problem with a USB dongle would be the Antenna.

The whole idea it crazy.

There is nothing wrong with FM except for those that want to push features we don't need (RDS is very much under used) and the push for more stations is so poorly mis-guided it is a joke.

The switch off will never happen in the form they have planned. A mandatory phase in period will be bolted onto the legislation.

Problem with a USB dongle would be the Antenna.

The whole idea it crazy.

There is nothing wrong with FM except for those that want to push features we don't need (RDS is very much under used) and the push for more stations is so poorly mis-guided it is a joke.

The switch off will never happen in the form they have planned. A mandatory phase in period will be bolted onto the legislation.

I'll get me crystal ball out.

The powers that be love digital. A multiplexed digital audio or video signal is much more efficient wrt bandwidth than ****ogue and the quality is arguably better (contentous i know)

This gives them something to sell. HD freeview for example was never going to happen as long as ****ogue tv was utilising the bandwidth.

So digital is happening, but as we know signal strength is patchy with some areas being better served than others.

My feeling is that fm will be left to wither or the mw/lw stations will migrate as the current licenseholders are encouraged to migrate to digital and as additional transmitters are brought on line.

I must admit, I'm a DAB convert. I've got a Sony DAB unit in my taxi and I find it absolutely fantastic especially for listening to the football. Was a little disappointed when I looked into putting it into my Tourer but have worked out a bit of a bodge way of doing it. I got a Parrot MK9200i installed in the Tourer and love the USB facility especially when combined with a 32Gb stick, it means I can carry my entire music collection with me at all times but I also love the Bluetooth audio function which will output audio from my iPhone. So in essence I listen to 5Live or TalkSport online through my iPhone and output it through the Parrot.

Probably not the best way of doing things but it works a treat, and I'm sure it could probably work through XCarLink in much the same way.

JK

jk. if you took me home in your cab last night. I'm sorry. :unsure:

B) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Looks like the rest of the world aren't quite so enthusiastic about DAB.
The Germans have back-tracked and will stop using it, the Japanese have no DAB transmissions and Roberts the radio people have released new ****ogue only radios...
Apparently the biggest growing market is mobile FM and that there are no DAB mobile equipped phones either made or in the forseeable future.

Maybe with the Germans - who were the first to adopt and tested DAB - have made the UK gov think about the cost if few people switch over. They can hardly force people to buy new radios - especially seeing how expensive they are to buy and run.

Every car I have been in in Japan either has some mad ICE system playing files from a PC in the boot...

Or is tuned to an AM station. I suspect because it works better in built up areas.

I fail to see why there is such a big rush for it form the powers that be.