What's new

Dash Cam

f2raf

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord
I have just taken delivery of this,Dash Camera, probably a little bigger than i was expecting! but it has a rear camera with it too, will try & do an install & review.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171869526148?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

$_57.JPG

I've just got a front only camera. At the risk of nicking your idea, I'll post some device and fitting details plus some actual footage (once I've figured out how it works :blush: )

thedooor said:
Is the rear view camera mounted on the rear window?
The feet you see in the picture attached to the rear camera have 3m sticky back tape under them, so i suspect it sticks to the rear screen, only problem is i have tinted windows so i not to sure how good the visibility will be in the day let alone the night.

Waiting for my Micro SD to arrive, tried a 256mb one but the camera is hanging/freezing badly, even without the card in currently, when it does work though the image is clear sharp HD quality. I have found a discreet position for it, so it sits just behind the rear view mirror, totally out of my driving sight, but if i want to view reverse camera, i will need to position it lower, probably to the bottom right of the screen, where i dont like it if it impairs my driving view!

Are you hard wiring it in with an add a fuse? And using a convertor lead to make it 5v.?

That's a great video for anyone interested in hardwiring a dash cam should be the same procedure on an accord because the fuse box is in the same place as the golf in the video.

chew said:
Are you hard wiring it in with an add a fuse? And using a convertor lead to make it 5v.?
i was going to wire it to the cigarette lighter power point in the arm rest initially, which i suppose is a good alternative, the golf might not have an extra power point.

but this does sounds like a good idea, ive just ordered those extra parts and will have a go at it, has anyone done this?

The guy in the video knows his stuff definitely worth subscribing to his channel.Id be interested to know how you get on as I'm thinking about this myself.The extra parts to hardwire are pretty cheap.let us know how you get on and the pros and cons of your camera please.

f2raf said:
The feet you see in the picture attached to the rear camera have 3m sticky back tape under them, so i suspect it sticks to the rear screen, only problem is i have tinted windows so i not to sure how good the visibility will be in the day let alone the night.
Is it possible to scrape a bit of the window tint so that the rear camera has a clear view.
If that makes sense......

thedooor said:
Is it possible to scrape a bit of the window tint so that the rear camera has a clear view.
If that makes sense......
I am sure its possible, but not something i will consider as it will make the screen look terrible. I have returned the camera today it was playing up too much just freezing etc, but ive ordered anotehr one so will let you know how that one goes, it doesnt have a rear cam but i figured that you can buy the rear cam seperate anyway for a couple of quid and stick it in, but i dont think the rear cam records anyway, i think its just for parking, which i dont need really. Also I think at the price ive paid for this camera now, if its really good its worth just buying another and sticking it on the rear window, job done!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171823134786?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

$_57.JPG

The second camera above was pants, but in the meantime a replacement was sent by the first camera in the opening post (the black & orange cam) Micro SD card arrived so I attempted to test today, however the suction cup kept dropping because the place i wanted to position it behind the rear view mirror, out of my sight, has the rain sensor sun shade pad stuck to it so the suction cup will not stick for long on it. I didnt want it in the middle of my screen obstructing my view so after some thought I installed it on the rear Tailgate window. After all if someone is going to whack you from behind its the best place for it. Now my rear window is tinted Limo black but the results are still very impressive in the day and I have the added benefit that actually the camera cannot be seen at all from the outside. So now i just have to put up with seeing it in my view when i look through my rear view mirror but its not that bad at all. I guess i need to figure a way of turning the screen off during night driving (black tape maybe over the screen protector.) Anyway enough of my waffle and some clips of the camera in action here.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B0riC4r9eucjWGxaYk9Zd0lwb3c&usp=sharing

I also have a dash cam but have installed at the front. The way I look at it is if someone does hit you from behind, you don't have to worry anyway as they are always culpable from an insurance point of view. The issue if you hit someone from behind as in that case you will always be at fault when it comes to insurance companies, pretty much whatever the circumstances.

I had someone reverse into me a while ago and he actually tried to blame me. This was when I decided to get the dashcam.

I bought a very small one the Size of a matchbox which is very inconspicuous. I just wired the cable underneath the steering wheel panel, through the inside of the door and round the edges of the window all the way to just above my rear view mirror.

danny35 said:
I also have a dash cam but have installed at the front. The way I look at it is if someone does hit you from behind, you don't have to worry anyway as they are always culpable from an insurance point of view. The issue if you hit someone from behind as in that case you will always be at fault when it comes to insurance companies, pretty much whatever the circumstances.
I had someone reverse into me a while ago and he actually tried to blame me. This was when I decided to get the dashcam.
I bought a very small one the Size of a matchbox which is very inconspicuous. I just wired the cable underneath the steering wheel panel, through the inside of the door and round the edges of the window all the way to just above my rear view mirror.
Do you have a link to the cam you used

f2raf said:
I like it I mat just invest in one.
Go for it! It's tiny as I mentioned, so can be left in your car very discreetly and the quality is good.

If you do buy it, do a search online to find best quality settings/ratios to get the most out of the camera (particularly in night mode). I remember googling it and finding some forums/you tube videos which I found helped get the right balance for day/night settings.

Has anyone identified anywhere in the fuse box I can feed the camera from.
On my last car a 2006 Civic I had front and rear camers fitted. They were powered from hard wiring into the fuse box. I was easily able to tuck all cables away either in the top of the windscreen under the headlining or along the headlining to the rear camera.
I removed both cameras this morning from my Civic and wish to hardwire again into my Accord.

Use an add a fuse from your wipers or something that comes on with the ignition then use a convertor to 5v.

danny35 said:
Hi Imran, did you end up buying and hooking up the Dashcam in the end?
Hi no not mobius one yet, just the first one I bought which was replaced by the company as it was faulty. The replacement works great and is pretty good, I uploaded a video in an earlier post and that's in the day out of the rear tinted window, I'll put a video up at the front end soon.

Great, as long it takes a good video :) Good luck and I hope you never need to use it,