What's new

dash change around?

Timberfake

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord v-tec s
my stereo section is at the top with the clock and cubby at the bottom but noticed on the service manual that the stereo is at the bottom so could they be swapped round?????

Yes they can. A simple job that involves a little fabrication, but been done a couple of times.

my stereo section is at the top with the clock and cubby at the bottom but noticed on the service manual that the stereo is at the bottom so could they be swapped round?????

yup can be done as i had to do for fitting my double din :D there is a wee bit of cutting plastic involved.

is there a step guide or anything like that? I want to do this as because the stereo is angled so much the display is not very clear in the day so would be more visible in the lower section....

There isn't a guide that I'm aware of but to get access to the bottom panels what you can do is:
If you have an auto- put the car into accessory mode (the stage before the engine starts when you turn the key), make sure the parking brake is on and shift the gear into D4 or D3, then either

If you have a Manual ignore that^

Using a trim removal tool or a flathead screwdriver with the tip covered by something soft (e.g wet wipe (worked for me) or a cloth or something) put it into the gap between the centre console and the trim, start from the bit closest to you when you sit in the seat and work your way towards the front of the piece of trim, once you have loosened it, pull the trim from the bit behind the gearlever/gearknob upwards whilst pulling it backwards and the trim should come free. You should then see a couple of screws that hold the storage compartment in place, when you unscrew that it should come loose and you should be able to pull it out leaving you a double dinned size to either move your climate control and cd/tape player into or to install a touch screen navi thing

Hope this helps
I'll try to get some pictures to add to this :)

To get at the top double din you have to remove the control panel facia. There are three screws that hold it in above the clocks (speedo etc) remove those. Then gently pry out the 3 switches on the right (cruise control etc) and disconnect the plugs. BE AWARE there is a 4th retaining screw behind the centre plug. Finally pull out the hazard switch and disconnect then carefully pull the panel out (lower the steering wheel to lowest. Simples.

Be aware there is no cage in the bottom for a head unit but there is in the top. My plan was the same as your but I had to fit the double din in the top but it looks good.

To get at the top double din you have to remove the control panel facia. There are three screws that hold it in above the clocks (speedo etc) remove those. Then gently pry out the 3 switches on the right (cruise control etc) and disconnect the plugs. BE AWARE there is a 4th retaining screw behind the centre plug. Finally pull out the hazard switch and disconnect then carefully pull the panel out (lower the steering wheel to lowest. Simples.

Be aware there is no cage in the bottom for a head unit but there is in the top. My plan was the same as your but I had to fit the double din in the top but it looks good.

http://www.fitaudio.com/?View=entry&EntryID=14
here is a DIY about stereo removal :)