What's new

Dashboard LED Light Faint

Motorhate

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord CDTI
The dashboard LED light was previously working but now its very faint. Its the thin console above the sat-nav which includes the CD track number, clock and outside temperature.
I did notice that in the really warm weather, as the car starts its fine but eventually it fades until its barely discernable. Any ideas what this could be?

What's it like at night? Visible? Does it dim then over time?

What happens if you adjust the dash brightness? Does it follow suit with the rest of the dash or not?

If it does look like the clock module is at fault, the only real remedy is to replace it. The way Honda put it together, it's virtually impossible to repair. The LCD module is soldered through the plastic mounting plate and circuit board, sandwiching all the good stuff in between.

Have to take the small display off of the dashboard and take it to someone who will fix the problem, which is coming from spoiled connections behind the display. This is a drawback of the dashboard display. If you do not fix it, it will stop working completely.

Miah said:
What's it like at night? Visible? Does it dim then over time?

What happens if you adjust the dash brightness? Does it follow suit with the rest of the dash or not?

If it does look like the clock module is at fault, the only real remedy is to replace it. The way Honda put it together, it's virtually impossible to repair. The LCD module is soldered through the plastic mounting plate and circuit board, sandwiching all the good stuff in between.
Its the same level during the day as it is at night. During the really warm weather it did illuminate as it should be as the car cooled down with the air conditioning on it faded right out. I'm ***uming its just a loose connection and where the heat expanded it made the connections good, then as it cooled down and contracted the contacts failed but that's just my guess. The dash brightness switch does not make any difference to it whatsoever.

Having the same problem, seems to be a fairly common fault.
Anyone on here do repairs to these lcd panels or able to recomend anyone who can ?
Thanks in advance

Mine went dodgy last year. I took it apart to see if it was repairable, but due to the sandwich construction and the backlights probably being surface mount, it wasn't really practical.

Someone with an oven /might/ be able to separate the sandwich (it's not a simple soldering job), but I'm unconvinced the plastics would survive, which defeats the point of the game.

For me, it was quicker to get a salvage off of ebay.

My replacement unit obviously came from somewhere with a lot of sun, as the smoked plastic has polarised a little. I just swapped it with my old unit and job was a goodun.

Thanks Miah. I was all set to take it apart but found the same thing. I just decided to live with it rather than try and take it apart.