What's new

Dashboard Light/Symbol Identification

Jack Sparrow

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2
Hi all,

I have recently put a deposit down on an 09 Accord i-dtec.

However I noticed a symbol on the dashboard and the 'i' symbol was lit up above the speedo.

The symbol included something that looked like an '8' and had a sunshine and frost symbol.

What does this represent? I've scoured the internet to look before i asked on here

Cheers

Can you take a photo but this sounds like your variable service reminder.

Unfortunately I can't get hold of a picture right now. But maybe I can get one tomorrow. Would you happen to be able to show a pic and I can confirm if that's the one.

Variable service reminder? Is that just a generic service?

Iv had mine taken off now so can't view this anymore.
When the yellow info sign appears did you the press the info button on the steering wheel to show the new message.
If so where does the new message appear.

Thanks for your help Brett.

I think I did press that yes. And it switched between range etc which appeared in the LCD window in the speedo.

Then when you turned the car back on that message would always appear first

How about asking the person selling it? I wouldn't buy car that had a warning indicator lit, unless the worst-case was ***umed and allowed for in the price.

And don't rely on a motor dealer to honour a warranty!

The i symbol usually lights up when the fuel is low. As the others say, use the right hand steering wheel buttons to scroll through the screens on the trip computer (i-MID is the technical name- multi function info display or something similar)

99% of the time its just an alert, low fuel, door open, temp below freezing etc etc

8th gen Accords have variable servicing system called SVRS, google it, basically car decides servicing interval, based on usage. Some owners have had it turned off from new though, and are just on the standard 12 months/12500 miles service interval.

You should have had a good look at the service book, has it been properly serviced??

If its this symbol, run a mile, or get a big discount...

http://s1011.photobucket.com/user/fitza01/media/DSC00825.jpg.html

Thats the Diesel Particulate filter blocked symbol. The Accord like all recent diesels has a DPF, and they can get blocked. Some run fine for years, other repeatedly block and need regenerating or replacing. About £200 for a regen at a Honda dealer, or £1000 for a new DPF.

Let us know if you need more info.

Thanks for your comments Rich!

Fortunately it isn't the DPF symbol. Thanks for actually explaining what it is though because I've heard there's a history of these going on the cars through this forum.

The battery was severely flat before I test drove it so I'm hoping it's just something to do with that. All I can remember is it had the number 8 and a frost symbol, maybe a sun symbol too.

Kicking myself for not getting a picture of it now

That is the variable service indicator you are describing, sounds like 8 days left until the next service. It should give a number code when scrolling the screen for the service required and in the forum there is a listing for service code types. Either it is due a service or its just not been reset yet. Bad thing about the variable service indicator is a anyone can reset it without having carried out the service. Best check history and service book stamps.

Thanks Metis.

Would you be able to supply a picture at all?

I checked the history and honda stamped the book 6,000 miles ago. Surely it can't be due another service? Unless it works off time as well as mileage? Whichever comes sooner

I just spoke to the dealer.

He said the symbol that pops up is a spanner with an 8,000mile countdown on it.

However I definitely saw a night/day symbol.

Is it possible that the spanner etc appears when the car starts, and then you use the i-mid which scrolls to appear the night/day symbol?

From memory the number 8 is a new air filter.
The moon and sun are how many days left.
Once under a certain amount of days the reminder sets to miles.
The Spanner might be days over the service period.
If you buy the car I would take the Service reminder off at a dealers for free and go back to a normal service schedule

Thanks Brett.

It's strange as I took it out Saturday and it was days. Now obviously it's switched to miles.

However the dealer says there's no code attached to it.

I'm sure it's no problem, as it's got a full service history up to it's current mileage. I'll get Honda to remove the warning.

Is it just Honda that can do this?

I'm only used to Hondas pre-2005 haha, no gadgets like the new ones

You can reset the service yourself but to turn it off completely like mine a dealers need to do this.
You sign a waver as once it's been taken off it can nether be put back on.

Im on a 12 month service but have left the reminder codes on as you can just reset them when they come up. Once you get rid of the reminders you cant get them to come back on.

The night/day symbol is how many days are left (estimated) until the next service is due. It should give a number or letter indicating which service it is. See if you can Google Honda service codes, may be able to barter the price considering it's money you'll potentially be forking out

It's quite possible it needs another service after only 6000 miles, that's the bad thing about sticking to this schedule. I had a main service only for mine to ping up with a coolant change just 4000 miles later. If you followed the svrs you would be at the dealers every other month!

I think I'm going to leave the code.

I'll view the car and buy the car on Saturday and quickly check out (google) the service code. If it's only a small one it's fine. Plus its had regular 12,000mile services by Honda so I know it's been relatively looked after

Nothing to worry about like mentioned before just the SVRS i have left mine on as its a taxi and i normally have to change the oil every 8k as the SVRS monitors the oil. If you had a service tomorrow it would say 12k to next service then as you drive the car and the miles come down this will change to say 8 which is replace air cleaner element in say 10k then as your miles come down it will change again to say AB8 which is
A replace oil and oil filter
B inspection service
8 replace air cleaner element

for me its a good thing but also a pain in the butt when i keep seeing the service reminder, but i can see why most people have it removed

I wouldn't lose any sleep at this stage.
When you've actually got the car you can amuse yourself hunting through all the symbols and codes in the 600-plus pages of the handbook... :)