What's new

Dead electrics on start

Gweekhonda

Reaction score
Car
Honda accord
2014 Honda Accord ctdi
When I switch the ignition on, all the warning lights come on, radio wipers lights etc work. When I go to start it, I get one click and then everything goes dead including all the dash warning lights and that it.
If I disconnect the battery and leave it. It will reset itself and the same thing will happen again.

In the run up to this I had a couple of nonstart days in the cold so had the battery checked and that and the charging seems to be working OK.
Another issue that may have relevance is that I have had a leak which has taken out the tailgate electrics.

The car is not in its first flush of youth and rather than take to the garage straight away, I am wondering if there is a series of initial checks that I could do myself.

Ideas most Welcome.

Really strange one there

Have you checked all the fuses?
Have you measured the voltage across the battery to ensure a healthy 12v output?

Many many years ago I had a car battery that did that, the fault was inside the battery, I think it was a connection on one of the plates. Too high a current and the internal connection would cut out, then it was ok for low currents. A dodgy joint on the battery cable can do the same thing, also the earth connection on the chassis.