What's new

Decat into twin pipes on iDTEC EX

JohnnyHonda

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord iDTEC
Hi all

I am thinking of getting my iDTEC 2009 EX decatted and into twin pipes and tips, I believe this will also give the "cooing" sound as well as being a bit louder?? Has anybody done this before? I have heard that it can wear the turbo quicker as there is no back pressure?

The car is still under warranty for the next 2 years or so but I asked the manger in the Honda garage when I bought it in about a custom exhaust and she gave me the go ahead. I presume I will be covered then if anything happens to the turbo then??

Thanks

I'd want something in writing to say they would still cover the warranty with the non standard exhaust.

I dont think Honda would, they would just say you had modified the car, and wouldn't cover the warranty claim.

Yep I can't see honda honouring a warranty claim if you've decatted it. Decatting it will make it smelly, smokey and exhert greater pressure on the turbo.

Removing the DPF is a smart idea, and that's held inside the same chamber as the DPF. Take a look at our Facebook pages to see what's involved.

That's not a bad idea Rich, I'll head down to them Saturday and see if I can get it in writing. It's actually a Honda Happiness warranty from the garage so they might not like the idea of it.

Fahad by removing the DPF will it go through the NCT (Irish version of MOT)? Will it then give it more of a grunt and a "cooing" sound with a straight-through? A re-map is probably not a bad idea then if the DPF is bypassed?

I've seen no issues with the UK MOT, but couldn't comment on the Irish one (although other tuners in our network carry them out as routine in that area).

Removing the DPF will give you a natural increase in torque (especially if it's started to become blocked), no real change in sound however unless then you add a sporty exhaust and remove the silencers..

A remap is a must, otherwise your call will be in iimp mode and eventually kill the engine.

Thanks Fahad. I have booked the car in tomorrow to get from the cat back into twin pipes. I'll start with this and when I get the funds I'll get the DPF removed and a remap.

I'll be following this one with interest. Been looking into changing mine also. Have found someone locally (Longlife Exhausts) anyone had any experience? Just not got round to it yet.

I removed my DPF and deprogrammed along with the back box, usually diesel sounds like **** with no back box, but honestly it sounds proper good in the idtec, maby it's cause I've the DPF out also and it's got more room to rumble but it sounds proper good

I've not taken the cat off either my 7th or 8th but have altered the system from there as well as a host of other mods and warranty has never been an issue but I guess down to each dealer.

Hi all sorry about the delay in getting back. I got the exhaust done after. I went with from the cat back and took out the middle silencer box and into twin pipes. It gives a nice hum/ grumble when ticking over and a small grunt when its sutted up. It looks the job and sounds good so I'm happy :D . And on the plus side as well I had the car in with my local Honda dealer for a service last week and they passed no comment about it B) I've tried to put up pictures but they won't upload??