What's new

Decat?

^ also depends on valve lift, duration, and timing though, which doesn't get mentioned there i.e. without a turbo, back pressure is necessary if the valve timing is fixed and matched to the exhaust system i.e. no point installing racing camshafts on a 2.0 Ford Cortina unless you change the exhaust (and carb) as well ...and vice versa

So it's not about back pressure but gas velocity and the flow.

Fair enough, but by removing the cat you're changing the gas removal velocity.

I now consider myself wrong to a certain degree, and will wait for a dyno chart of before and after fitting till I make up my mind for definate.

Thanks to all who have contributed to this discussion. This is what's so great about this forum and it's members. All this info and no 'flaming' of someone that has opposing view. Good work guys! B)

But I know that N/A engines require a certain amount of back pressure to get the engine working at optimum, but FI engines just want to get rid of the gasses asap.
I'd actually agree with that statement, with a slight tweak .... "an N/A engine in a shopping-car requires back pressue due to the way it's designed, but an N/A engine for a racing car does not want back pressure"

Think you've pretty much hit it on the head dude.

Very few articles actually explain the difference that a decat will make to say an engine between 1.4 and 2.0 litres that is normally aspirated. It all seems to be focused on higher power cars that have had the timing etc tweaked.

Yeah I agree, I'd call anything N/A under 2.0 as a "shopping-car" :lol:

The design spec for an engine in such a car must be be something like "high mpg with low idle speed, flexible range of torque, and low noise levels".

In all honesty no one is going to get Mega power from a non type R accord
Best thing to do is avoid going over board
I'm now gonna concentrate on handling ordering a Coilover kit and strut braces etc......

Iv now made me own decat...

Started with some 2.5" stainless pipe I got for free ages ago

2012-12-29110413.jpg

Then removed the o2 bung from my old downpipe

2012-12-29110441.jpg

Welded that on and polished up the pipe, also bought 1 flange of ebay and machined the two bolt one out to 2.5" (was a old fiesta flange) also ebay spacer

2013-01-04144332.jpg

2013-01-05100425.jpg

2013-01-05100707.jpg

2013-01-05142659.jpg

Not sure if its much faster but its louder B)
and raspy!

Nicely done!

Some great work there dude.

Would you be interested in making another one I'd be willing to pay you a fair price.?
As the ones online I'm sure won't take a spacer and are more hassle than there worth

My accords the 1.8

Thanks mate

I could make one but id need the correct flanges, o2 spacer and o2 bung. It wasnt to bad doing mine as I changed all the flanges and new they would match. If the decats online have a hole for a o2 sensor then the spacer will definetly fit as they all have the smae thread, m18 x 1.5. Only other thing I could suggest would be getting intouch with an exhaust place to make you one? Cas coukd easily do it or there are plenty other places. If your in fife then try chizfab! They now do custom exhaust and im sure it would be more than £50-60. Let me know how you get on.

Cheers

Quick question i went to place today and had a look under the car, My 1.8 2000 accord doesnt seem to have an 02 sensor after the cat

Only one before it which is connected to down pipe

Does this mean I dont need the cat fooler / spacer as I dont see how fitting the decat can alter the readings to that sensor as its before the cat.

Been told there's a sensor in the cat? I never npticed nothing plugged into the cat though?

pretty sure the 1.8 has a cat lambda, it does according to Lings also.

Does the sensor plug out or is it built into the cat
Don't want an EML light coming on as nowhere near me can sort it cheap

The sensor is screwed into the cat which requires a 22mm spanner to remove it, mine were very tight! The wiring from the sensor has a plug on the end of it :) the secondary o2 sensor is there just to monitor the cat so if it did set of a eml it would still run. Thats why you need the spacer to "fool" the sensor.

This has explained everything! Thanks a lot mate! Sorry if the questions were a bit dumb lol
But it's better to have everything properly explained than do something wrong

the secondary o2 sensor is there just to monitor the cat so if it did set of a eml it would still run.

our 2nd sensor failed and it had an effect on the running of the engine (down on power, jerking on occasions on m/ways), so it does more than monitor the cat.

If you have the facilities to cut and weld a pipe, why didnt you simply cut the internals from the cat and weld it back together?
Thus MOT testerman thinks car still has cat fitted so no issue for test.....

If you have the facilities to cut and weld a pipe, why didnt you simply cut the internals from the cat and weld it back together?
Thus MOT testerman thinks car still has cat fitted so no issue for test.....

Car could still fail a mot on emission though, and I would then have to buy a new cat. This way cost me £19 and il need to remove 5 bolts come mot time.

Also my secondary o2 sensor has just thrown up a fault code. Cars still running fine but il be getting new one asap, should hav changed the both at the same time lol

Yup that's 100% correct
Those mini cat foolers working ok?

Yup that's 100% correct
Those mini cat foolers working ok?

Yeah the foolers working great, the fault is for the eating system in the sensor o the wiring. I need to take it off and check it over.

HI, i've got a 2000 2.0i SE Saloon... Any advice on if I still need a fooler and any uk links for a pre made decat?