What's new

DIESEL AND HID's

mattlee

Members
Reaction score
Car
Civic 2.2 i-ctdi
ive bit the bullet and got a 4300K H1 HID set from ebay. my accord is the diesel saloon model and all the how to on here ive seen seem to be done on the petrol model. to fit the HID will i have to remove the headlights to do it?

ive changed bulbs in the past and really struggled on the off side and couldnt get the bulb in without having it touch the light unit on the way in due to not being able to see.... this isnt as bad on the near side but still pretty tricky!

so to fit the HID bulbs without having them touch anything causing damage etc does it mean bumper off and lights out?

Matt on the 7th gen you can do this without removing the bumper.
On the 8th gen its a different matter.
If you want the OEM look then remove the bumper and fit the baslast under the light unit if not then don't remove

search for my how to thread on fitting HIDs.
I dropped my front bumper down to allow more access and hide everything away from sight as there really is no room to put the ballasts in the engine bay.

it takes 2hrs from start to finish for a complete novice and really is an easy job.

I don't know where you are based, but I will fit them for free if you near Portsmouth :)

Adam thats a very kind offer mate, thanks.

unfortunately i am miles away in Leicestershire........ ****** typical eh!!!!

my main concern is getting the bulb etc into the light itself without touching it on anything. i really struggled to do a normal bulb but luckily it still worked once fitted. there just is no room in there to move let alone see.

Did you buy a slim kit? If so then you can actually fit the entire kit inside the lamp housing. There are plenty of room for it.

yes its a slim kit mate. do you mean fit it within the grey twist on cover?

how do you secure it so its not rattling around?

Fitted these today with Brian (freddofrog). We removed the bumper and light units and it was pretty straight forward.

Many thanks for your help Brian much appreciated mate.

^ no problem Matt, I now see why there's quite a bit on TA about fitting HIDs, definitely looked good afterwards, never really thought much of the HIDs on my car until now

Good result Matt and great to have help from Brian.

yes Brian had removed the front bumper before on his car which i was a bit unsure of how to do, or a little scared i should say.....

i still have no idea how people fit them while the light are still on the car its so tight! we removed the bumper and the lights and the job was very simple indeed. i decided to drill holes in the cover rather than the bottom of the light unit in the end so i still have visible wires but thats ok. we secured the ballast below the light unit out of the way due to lack of space in the engine bay.

the difference between HID and halogen is amazing, so glad i did this.

Did you buy a slim kit? If so then you can actually fit the entire kit inside the lamp housing. There are plenty of room for it.

yes its a slim kit mate. do you mean fit it within the grey twist on cover?

how do you secure it so its not rattling around?

Much to my displeasure, I bought an H1 4300k slim kit from eBay as I was sick of bulbs blowing.

I did what Pointman says and fitted it all inside the light unit itself. Took less than 30 minutes, or less time than it took for my daughter to watch an episode of Go, Diego Go!, headlights were still in place. Just use a bit of double sided sticky foam stuff and stick it inside to the bottom. Although to be honest, if they weren't 'secured', it is not like they're going to be rattling around to the extent they'll be damaged or cause a problem.

At least this way if I need to remove them again, it's an absolute doddle, and I haven't drilled holes or cut anything.

Matt this is how I did mine in my 8th gen.
I could have fitted everything also in the light cluster but was worried about heat build up.

Much to my displeasure, I bought an H1 4300k slim kit from eBay as I was sick of bulbs blowing.

I did what Pointman says and fitted it all inside the light unit itself. Took less than 30 minutes, or less time than it took for my daughter to watch an episode of Go, Diego Go!, headlights were still in place. Just use a bit of double sided sticky foam stuff and stick it inside to the bottom. Although to be honest, if they weren't 'secured', it is not like they're going to be rattling around to the extent they'll be damaged or cause a problem.

At least this way if I need to remove them again, it's an absolute doddle, and I haven't drilled holes or cut anything.
I bet your car is a petrol then.

Matt's car is a diesel, and you might be able to do it that way on the left-hand side (uk passenger-side) by removing the battery, but as far as we could see, there isn't enough space to get the parts and a hand into the cluster on the right-hand side, because the abs and the aircon piping is in the way on the diesel.

I done it on my 7th gen diesel with my small hands.
The 8th gen you have no chance there is even less room.

i have to agree with Brian here the room behind the drivers side light cluster is very very minimal and even changing a bulb without touching it on the sides of the light is pretty much impossible. this is why we removed the whole light cluster, which was only 3 bolts by the way, to make it so much easier to put the bulb in without it getting damaged while fitting. even on the passenger side its diffficult to get a bulb in without it touching the light on the way in, removing the battery would give best access.

after looking in Brians petrol engine bay there is so much more room to gain access to the bulbs etc.

I bet your car is a petrol then.

Matt's car is a diesel, and you might be able to do it that way on the left-hand side (uk passenger-side) by removing the battery, but as far as we could see, there isn't enough space to get the parts and a hand into the cluster on the right-hand side, because the abs and the aircon piping is in the way on the diesel.

Correct, it is a petrol.