What's new

Diesel Smell?

Stug

Members
Reaction score
Car
2005 Accord CDTi
Hi guys.

Any ideas why I would be having a strong smell of diesel in the cabin and around the outside of the car??

I've had it in to get looked at (not a Honda dealer) and they checked the fuel lines, hoses and filters but couldn't find anything.
It's done 96,500 miles.

Cheers,
Stuart

I don't have any kind of warranty.
Can you just change the manifold part or the whole exhaust and how much are we talking to do that??

I was thinking of getting rid of it after new year but can't leave it as it's really strong.

Stuart, Honda did an extended warranty for 7 years / 125k miles for the exhaust manifold that was prone to cracking, causing the fumes. Depending when yours was registered, it may just get in. Loads of info here. If its outside warranty, Faddy has arranged a deal to get it fixed. here, but might be a bit of a trek from Arbroath.

I recieved a reply from my local Honda dealer after I explained the fault and the age of my car (Registered April 2005), and here's what they said:-

"It certainly looks as though there would be no warranty now available as the extension has now expired unfortunately.

The fitted inclusive cost of the exhaust manifold, (if that is the fault) would be £692.62.

We obviously cannot confirm the fault without seeing the car. Only one other reason for a “diesel” smell that comes to

mind is the possibility of a leaking fuel injector seal. This would be obvious if the top engine cover was removed."

You can take the cover off the top of the engine yourself, and have a look, it will be obvious if it is as one of the injectors will be dirtier than the others.

It's most likely the manifold though. Do you have a full service history? You might be able to get hold of Honda UK and ask for a good will gesture seeing as you're only just out of the 7 year period, they sometimes help out by paying some of it or maybe even all of it.

It does have service history, but most of it isn't with Honda.

I'll have a bash at contacting Honda UK and see what happens.

Thanks for the replies.

It does have service history, but most of it isn't with Honda.

I'll have a bash at contacting Honda UK and see what happens.

Thanks for the replies.
Have you taken engine cover of mate only 4 nut caps check injectors you will know if you have leak will be solid carbon round the injector just had mine done only needs seal £3.40 from Honda and local independant replaced for £36 mine was stinking the car out but could be manifold also which i have had replaced also so hopefully just blowback from the injector

I've had no luck trying Honda UK in regard to a good will gesture so I'm now looking at other options.

I took off the engine cover and the injectors looked ok (I think), there was some black residue but it looks more like a spillage of oil from the filler cap to me.

I'm getting rid of it in the new year so i'm hoping the weld will last till then??

Will the manifold need to come off the car to weld??

I've had no luck trying Honda UK in regard to a good will gesture so I'm now looking at other options.

I took off the engine cover and the injectors looked ok (I think), there was some black residue but it looks more like a spillage of oil from the filler cap to me.

I'm getting rid of it in the new year so i'm hoping the weld will last till then??

Will the manifold need to come off the car to weld??

Are you sure it's the exhaust manifold? I know it's been suggested as being the cause, but maybe you should have it confirmed by a professional first. Do you think you smell diesel - or diesel exhaust fumes?

Look for any black oily / tar spots around any of the injectors. Mine whernt coked up, just showing signs of vapour leakage. Take the engine cover off and start the engine. Try mad smell above injectors starting from #1 ( side nearest aux belt ).If you smell fumes then it's injector blowby not your manifold