phil the greek

Members
Reaction score
Car
'05 accord tourer
Well I had a moan a few months back about not-very-good MPG figures -

Started at about 27,

Pumped tyres to correct setting - went up to 29

Anyway, tried turning the aircon off - it's now up to 33 which is quite a difference from where we started, though as someone who is always hot, I'll be using it in the summer, 'specially as we'll be driving down to Italy in it.

Not sure whether to keep it now it's being more economical.

It still has the ultra wide TVR wheels/tyres on it - I have a set of the normal 195 section alloys - wonder if it'll make a difference with narrower tyres?

where is the other post

forum is doing funny things today

I've also tried this and to be honest not really noticing much difference the biggest difference is keeping it just below 70mph on the motorway (just under 2k rpm) thats on a tourer wiesel though.

I've also tried this and to be honest not really noticing much difference the biggest difference is keeping it just below 70mph on the motorway (just under 2k rpm) thats on a tourer wiesel though.

Tourer petrol's the same, the gearing is rubbish for fuel economy. 22mph per 1000 revs in Fifth. Needs a 6th gear,

I run the A/C as little as possible - just 10 or 20 minutes a week - to keep the MPG as high as possible!

I've noticed that the Accord's A/C does get a bit pungent after switching off, something that also affected a second-gen Toyota Prius I owned a couple of years ago. In that car, some research by owners in the US proved that there was a design flaw, yet it isn't an issue on my wife's Audi A3 or my (soon to be sold VW Bora). Maybe it's a common fault on Japanese cars.

Its always going to be difficult to work out with out a trip computer. i find this website helps.

My commute from Bournemouth to Kings Cross London this week cost me £40 a day with 216 miles covered and my car averaged 33mpg.
Averaging 80-90 mpg (Motorway) and London traffic (stop start driving). Im fairly happy with that. £200 in fuel for the week though. Ouch. :eek:

http://www.fuel-economy.co.uk/calc.shtml

well if mrs. pepster gets about 33mpg and lots of others do too, it's fair to say I'm prolly not gonna improve on that significantly!

cheers for the replies folks.

You do have 11" rims though remember ;)

Seriously though, when the choice is hot or cool, ac or window, above 50mph it is ac that is better.

Dunno what wind deflectors to to the equation, but kn modern cars I would suggest "naff all". Another test for Sunday :D

I do leave for work at 4.30 am. and to be honest 90% of the other cars are doing the same speeds. its not like I am flying past people like Michael Schumacher.

I wasn;t amazed by your speed. Read my post and your post again.

Seriously though, when the choice is hot or cool, ac or window, above 50mph it is ac that is better.

Dunno what wind deflectors to to the equation, but kn modern cars I would suggest "naff all". Another test for Sunday :D
Must say I've been enjoying having the glass sunroof open - gets noisy above about 50/55mph but for local stuff it's been very pleasant