What's new

Difficult starting when parked facing uphill

albinoni

Members
Reaction score
Car
2.2 diesel tourer
Hi, I've just moved house and the last couple of nights, parked my car facing up hill (not steep). It normally fires straight away but the past 2 mrnings has turned over more than usual before firing. It also seemed to kick out a bit of smoke after starting.
Sometimes if I gently boot it in 2nd/3rd/4th after cruising, there is quite a lot of black smoke emmited - don't know if the 2 things are related or if they all do this. It's now done 105k miles.
To be honest, I bought this car (estate) for the purpose of a 6 week camping tour round Europe and was then going to sell it, but it was that good - didn't miss a beat, well specced, comfy, fast and economical, so we decided to keep it!
Now my partner has relocated to a new job (40miles round trip), so she is selling her Yaris and having the Honda - just want to make sure this isn't going to be a problem for her.
Sorry it's a bit long winded - any advice greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Andy
ps. I'll try parking it the other way round later and see if that makes a difference.

Has it been noticeably cooler the last few mornings? If so heater plugs likely suspect. If not, could be fuel line related - air getting into system, fuel pump etc. The extra smoke will be because the engine isn't firing cleanly enough.

Has it been noticeably cooler the last few mornings? If so heater plugs likely suspect. If not, could be fuel line related - air getting into system, fuel pump etc. The extra smoke will be because the engine isn't firing cleanly enough.
thanks nodrogs - i'll keep an eye on the cold weather starting and if not, I think it might have to go for a checkup iat the garage for the air in the system!

If its only doing it when parked up hill probably not enough fuel going through - check for air

could be water in the fuel filter. there is a drain plug under the filter itself but if you are unsure of when it was last replaced ide go ahead and replace it. never worked on an accord with an air leak in the fuel system so that is doubtfull but caunt be ruled out. unfortunately with the filter and glow plugs ruled out you are looking at possible high preasure fuel pump or injector problems. i take it the times your car has struggled to start, the engine has been cold? try starting when the engine is warm on the same slope. but firstly get the fuel filter changed and check the glowplugs