What's new

Direct/permanent phone charger

padraig

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Ex i-CTDi
Anyone know how to hook up a permanent phone charger to the car ... i.e. have it hooked up behind the dash and accessible somewhere in the car. It would be a micro-USB cable that will be providing the charge.

I have the devices that plug into the cigarette lighter and provide a USB port(s) but I don't like it that way.

I would even be happy enough with having to put the usb/cigi devices behind the dash by plugging it into a 'fake' cigarette lighter behind there.

Any ideas welcome.

easy enough to splice into the lighter's supply. make sure there is an inline fuse though.

I wanted a USB powered output for charging my iPhone in my vectra. I searched several bike shops and found a 12v to 5v USB converter. I then spliced into a switched live and bobs your uncle. I think it cost about £15.

Thanks guys, I'll have a look into it.

I hard wired a TomTom charger into my old bosses Audi A4, just open it up, the actual connector and solder two wires, connect them to cig lghter pos & neg with an inline fuse, hide the wiring behind dash and 2 years later its still working :)