What's new

Discs and Pads?

Sit

Members
Reaction score
Car
Car-less!
Took the Accord into Honda this morning for an oil and filter change and health check. All came back ok with the exception of a couple if worn out wiper blades and an advisory that discs and pads are getting close to needing to be replaced.

They quoted.....ready....£250 discs and pads on the front and £260 discs and pads on the rear!!! There is no way I am paying over £500 to change the discs and pads - surely this is a simple DIY job?

Just wondered what discs and pad combos people rate and best place to buy from?

Cheers

Si

Si have a look around there are plenty of threads about this.
Also there are some good diy's hear to change the pads and disks.

Took the Accord into Honda this morning for an oil and filter change and health check. All came back ok with the exception of a couple if worn out wiper blades and an advisory that discs and pads are getting close to needing to be replaced.

They quoted.....ready....£250 discs and pads on the front and £260 discs and pads on the rear!!! There is no way I am paying over £500 to change the discs and pads - surely this is a simple DIY job?

Just wondered what discs and pad combos people rate and best place to buy from?

Cheers

Si

I am getting a local indi to my rear discs and pads on tuesday for £135 all in.

Steer clear of dealers for routine maintenance mate, You are throwing money away.

I have used Blue Print aftermarket pads and discs on my Accord CTDI, as well as on my previous CTR. I can't give you an exact price, as I get a small discount from a car parts delivery company, because I regularly go there to train all their drivers. You can of course get them from motorists centres for a lot less than Honda prices. For most Honda service parts I get genuine, filters etc, but these discs and pads have always been good so far. Last just as long as genuine ones as well. Dead simple to fit with a small amount of knowledge. There are a couple of posts on here to explain how, if you want to give it a go.

Brakes are thankfully easy to do, and there are several DIY's. the fronts are silly easy. The Tourer rears are simple to when the instructions are followed(I did a pretty comprehensive DIY on this) and the Saloon is simple if you have the wind-back tool for the rears.

I hope you were sitting down when they gave you that quote!

Like everyone else said, its a pretty easy DIY. I did mine at the roadside but this wet weather makes me wish I had a garage!

I've got EBC standard pads and discs which are fine for me and no difference over oem from what I can tell. I can't comment on uprated jobbies as I've never used them.

Ha ha, stealers at their best, I bet there are loads of people that would pay that and not bat an eyelid. I'm changing my rear discs and pads very soon and phoned up my local motor factor. £58 for Discs AND Pads.

http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/6607-tourer-rear-brake-change/

A "Please" would be nice ;).

Just out of interest OP, if they were charging £500 for discs and pads how much was the Oil change?

Thanks guys definitely going to DIY it and to be fair prob do EBC route for it. Although have you seen Kwik Fits latest offer?!?

If you buy pads and discs through them then you can have pads replaced FREE for the length of time you own the car?!?!?!

As for the oil change that was 'negotiated' with a friend of mine who is ***istant service manager so applied so magic to the bill, suffice to say he had gone home when they quoted me for pads and discs!

Si

Si when you get a price for your disks and pads compare it to OEM from HH.
I find HH prices are as good if not better than after market brakes.PM me if you want the discount code.Also if you come to Bristol ill get a price from my mate for you as its easer with his ramp.
PS i get mine done for free :)

I wouldn't let Kwik Sh*t near my brakes. Last time I let them loose on my van they sheared the nuts that hold the discs to the hubs.

I wouldn't let Kwik Sh*t near my brakes. Last time I let them loose on my van they sheared the nuts that hold the discs to the hubs.
Agree with Dan grease Monkeys :lol:

I find HH prices are as good if not better than after market brakes.PM me if you want the discount code.Also if you come to Bristol ill get a price from my mate for you as its easer with his ramp.
Agree with Brett got mine from HH think they were £130 disks and pads

Thanks Brett that sounds like a cracking offer, will have a look around and see what prices i can get the discs and pads for and drop you a PM, can you PM me the HH code when you get chance?

Si

Get Brembo blanks (originals) and pagid pads for a good quality setup that will match or surpass stock.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Front-Brembo-Brake-Discs-HONDA-ACCORD-VIII-2-2-i-CTDi-0-/290567324308?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item43a7298294

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pagid-Front-Brake-Pad-Set-T1397-Honda-Accord-/300629878435?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Model%3AAccord&hash=item45feefe6a3

Fitting them yourself will give you a chance to strip down and give things like the sliders a good clean.

I wince when I get tyres from there too - often thought about saying "I'll do the wheels, you just stick the rubber on"

That wasn't supposed to come out like that.

Ooh e'er..

I'll, eeerrr. Get, me coat :lol:

Damn didnt realise honda charged so much haha

I always get blueprint or delphi ones from dingbro and they do perfect and are not expensive at all

Are the rears on a tourer wind back or push back pistons? gonna give my brakes a clean up and paint when i get the car, got a wind tool anyway so either will be easy enough

Push back on the Tourer dude.

It is worth checking the hoses as they get flaky over tome and cause calliper binding.

Yeah i will do that, had an advisory for slight binding on one of the rears but ill check it over next weekend as i pick it up on friday

Push back is even easier thankfully, might just get a rebuild kit if it's not perfect to make it all minty fresh :D

I'd say that £500 is about right for a Honda dealer, I was quoted €640 here in Ireland! Considering I got front and rear pads and front discs for €140 for my last car, it's a job I'll definitely be doing myself when it comes round!

At the time I had a basic knowledge and a few tutorials but with a socket set, a spanner set, a G clamp and a screwdriver I got the job done. You'll probably also need a hex head driver for the job. Like an allen key that fits into the socket. 7 mm if I remember correctly?