What's new

Distributor Timing Adjustment Impossible - no slots in distributor

HONDALEO

Members
Reaction score
Car
HONDA
Hmmm.

I have the official Honda service manual for my Accord, engine F18BA.

It describes in detail how to adjust the static timing using a strob elight, by loosening the distributor, and rotating it to achieve 12° advance, while the SCS connector is shorted.

When I loosen the distributor bolts, there is no possibility to rotate it at all.

I removed the distributor to find only one of the holes is slotted, and the other a circular casting boss, with a circular hole in it.

1. What the heck is that about?

2. Why does the car even need this to be set? I presume the twelve lobes which trigger the cylinder position sensor must not have a good enough syncronised detail with the actual piston position? Is this purely to fine tune this trigger wheel / piston position relationship? I would have thought that a reluctor wheel on the crank would have provided enough detail as to the piston location, rather than relying on a sensor inside the distributor on the camshaft? This seems weird to me. Does it make sense to anyone. If so could you please explain. Thanks

P.S. the circular casting boss doesn't even appear to be cast in such a way that it suggests you file a slot in it if you need to. It is a circular boss, positioned within two stiffening ribs, and with the stock screw and washer, there isn't even enough space between the washer and the ribs to permit rotation, even if you do file the slot out.

I would upload photos but I can't see any means to do that without first putting them somewhere where the photos have URL's

F18BA or F18B2?

I have an Accord 1.8 with the F18B2 engine with the same issue. I guess that our distributors are not made to be adjusted. I replaced my distributor a couple of years ago due to a leaking seal, and had no issues until now. Just bolt it on and you are good to go.

Thanks. It seems weird that they would set up a machining operation during production to mill one slot and bore one hole. The two things contradict one another.