What's new

DIY Mobile Phone Holder Bracket

RussellS

Members
Reaction score
Car
59 Tourer i-DTEC EX
Hi all, here are the details of my permanently fixed mobile phone holder bracket which is fitted to my 7th gen Accord Tourer. This was first posted on the original THAOC forums about 18 months ago and is still in my car today as good as ever.

So, to start, this is what it looks like when finished.

IMG_0558.jpg

and here are the steps I took to achieve it.

Firstly remove the top trim piece which contains the air vents and the top LCD display. I found the best removal tool was a plastic kitchen spatula to lever up the trim.

Here you can see the trim removed and where the bracket is to be mounted.

IMG_0541.jpg

The three little circles are where the holes will be to screw the bracket in.

Use cardboard to make a template that will fit nicely. By using cardboard you can gradually trim bits off until you have the shape that will fit best.

IMG_0494.jpg

Once you have the required shape you can transfer it to a sheet of metal. I used about 1mm thick galvanised steel.

IMG_0495.jpg

Polish all the edges and then mark where the bend needs to be.

IMG_0500.jpg

Bend the bracket in the required place

IMG_0508.jpg

and then drill the mounting holes in the required place

IMG_0511.jpg

Prime the metal with spray metal primer and then top coat with black satin spray paint. I used Halfords spray paint & primer.

Combined.jpg

Then mount the base of the mobile phone holder onto the bracket. I used a universal mount from Halfords which, as well as the normal air vent clip mount, also had a flat bracket with a self adhesive pad to stick to the dashboard. I removed the self adhesive pad and then drilled the flat part to screw to my bracket.

IMG_0543.jpg

Now, offer up the bracket to the mounting position and mark through the holes where to drill. Then drill small pilot holes into the dashboard. About 1mm - 1.5mm should be sufficient depending on the mounting screws to be used. I used 4mm x 12mm (No. 8 x 0.5 inch) self tapping screws.

IMG_0542.jpg

The bracket can then be screwed in

IMG_0545.jpg

and the trim replaced

IMG_0546.jpg

Fit the rest of the phone holder to the mount and you are done

Combined2.jpg

The phone is clearly visible and easily operated from the driving position.

I hope you find this useful and if anyone needs any points clarifying then please let me know.

Russell

That's nice and handy
smile.gif
smile.gif

Thanks for sharing, I think that's one mod I'll copy. The Accord is a bit of a PITA with regards to holding a mobile phone and I have 2 on the go, 1 Work and 1 Private which also has my sat nav on it.

I would have considered this mod, but thats the location my parrott kit lives :D

Excellent mod and write up - cheers mate!..

On the "The bracket can then be screwed in" pic, the bracket is ...say ~5mm away from the rightside edge of the dash, but when the vents are back in place its flush.
Did you have to shave any bits of dash to make it flush or is it just a case of my wrong interpretation of the pics....
I think it is just the angle of the photo. I definitely didn't shave anything off the dash but I do see what you mean. If I get a chance I'll pop the trim off tomorrow and take another pic from a different angle.

You've got to bear in mind that this was 18 months ago and I can't even remember what I did yesterday :lol:

great mod and write up mate cheers

Very nice ... thanks for the info and sharing.

On the "The bracket can then be screwed in" pic, the bracket is ...say ~5mm away from the rightside edge of the dash, but when the vents are back in place its flush.
Did you have to shave any bits of dash to make it flush or is it just a case of my wrong interpretation of the pics....
Right, here we go.

Here are a couple of new pictures taken from another angle to show that it is in fact flush.

Combined3.jpg

The rough cut edge of the dash vinyl is very floppy and just goes flat where the bracket is.

You need one of these:

linky

and one of these

linky

:ph34r:

Helpful as always, thanks Dan, I've ordered 2 of each just in case I break the first set.

:lol:

a plastic fish slice seems to work well....seriously.

Russell, wow what a great idea, I've just got a '04 2.2l iCDTi salon, and looking for a better iPhone 5 mount than my last car, I've found some 2mm thick galvanised that will bend,

But to save time, did you make a sketch with dimension's?

The bend is obviously a right angle, rear angle looks very much like 45 degrees, I'm guessing the front facing mount is about 100mm x 50mm?
But if you did a sketch that would save a lot of time,
Great mod, got to be a Blue Peter Badge !