What's new

DIY & REVIEW - USB mp3 Aux input!

alnug

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Car
Jaguar XF S
this is basically a follow on to my Aux input thread here.

I think this is a development which warrants it's own thread! :D. In the previous topic I talk about the Aux input and Ipod adapters. The Aux adapter I had was basically a Sony external CD changer control which had left and right phonos that i split to get another Aux input.

Well that was fine but playing my USB mp3 player through the Aux meant that i had to rely on the mp3 battery and also having to control the mp3 player via it's own controls (...you know what I'm getting to here don't you ;) ;) )............Well enter the USB external Aux control!

REVIEW
Thats right an external Aux that uses a USB interface.....connect up your USB device (as long as it's recognized by windows XP WITHOUT need for special drivers and it'll work).....and it charges your mp3 player/USB device and plays as an external CD player..........

NOW what REALLY makes the device is that you CAN CONTROL the device using your steering controls!!! and it supports playlists (basically you use the Disc+ and DIsc- to skip up and down different folders on your USB device)...............anyway I will give a full picture review later ok...just thought I'd put this up first

...P.S. Sound quality is Awesome!!!!!!!

UPDATE
usb.jpg

usb1.jpg

Well the second pic shows the final install location. I had to drill a hole in the CD tray to get the wiring through....very easily filled later anyway...but i know some of you are squemish about drilling holes :lol: .
Also custom made a 2 port USB box....one port for the Mp3 and the other i use for recharging stuff....e.g mobile phone and helping to power the GPS sat nav.

OH ALSO in case i forgot to mention before..the USB device also has a standard 3.5mm input so you can plug in auxilary devices into it also!...when you plug something into the 3.5mm plug it mutes the USB. A very nice feature!

ANOTHER UPDATE ON SONG ORDERING
The manufacturers have created a utility to arrange song order on the device, you can get it at
http://www.xcarlink.com/files/Mp3Manger.exe

Very nice review.

My Xcarllink unit arrived, also but I have a navi-unit and under navi unit there a DVD unit, any idea if there is a how to for this , too ?

the navi is a bit more involved you have pull the unit out to get access to the back...I'm in the process of writing something now will update you then on how to do it ok?

Yes, if possible please do :lol:
I guess I need to pull out the main unit , as my Type-S has navi unit.
Also do the xcarlink require a ground/earth point to install ?
I've thought I read somewhere, somebody had engine noise interference with his xcarlink unit , or maybe I don't recall it right ...

There is no earth point you need to install it's just the connector going to the headunit.

I do remember someone having interference issues and i think this was down to insulation problems with his unit. I've tried cutting into the wiring on the unit and connecting it up so that it could be removeable and in doing so did introduce some interference, so maybe some wiring was damaged.

The xcarlink is in revision 5 now i think..and my device was the first one out and I'm still using it now after 6 years B)

Thanks Alnug ! I've bought mine recenteley from xcarlink.co.uk (it has a BT port also) I'm not sure what revision number is .
Anyway I'm looking forward to install mine :D

I've installed mine today and I'm very pleased with the audio quality from my Iphone 3GS .
I have two questions:
- on my navi display there is nothing shown, when playing music from my iphone , only on the small 1 row display above the middle aircon vents, is that normal , or is it a trick to enable to see the songs on the navi display, also ?
- does the xcarling charge the iphone ? ( I couldn't figure it out yet if it does or not)