What's new

DIY Towbar Fitting?

Sit

Members
Reaction score
Car
Car-less!
Evening

There maybe a need for me to get a towbar fitted to the Tourer soon and I wondered if anyone had fitted their own or done a guide?

Just trying to work out if it's DIYable or not? Had a load fitted to different cars in the past and get charged through the nose normally.

Cheers

Si

Hi mate

I fitted a Witter one to my 04 sport tourer a few months ago and it took less than an hour for 2 of us to get the bumper off, make the small bumper cut , take the bumper bar off and fit the new one. Was a bit apprehensive but was a breeze compared to my wifes Veccie! no pics im afraid but take the time to read the instructions and lay it all out first!

i also bought an "Accord specific" wiring kit which was errr, a nightmare!!! but got there in the end!
good luck

Evening

There maybe a need for me to get a towbar fitted to the Tourer soon and I wondered if anyone had fitted their own or done a guide?

Just trying to work out if it's DIYable or not? Had a load fitted to different cars in the past and get charged through the nose normally.

Cheers

Si

Thanks Scott, that's encouraging! Did you have to drill anything, that's what concerns me a little, or is it just a case of swapping over the bumper bars?

I have a friend who is auto electrician so going to get him to wire up the socket, just want to save some £££ on the actual fitting.

Is your witter a flange/swan neck/removable towbar?

Regards

Simon

Hi mate

Mine was the Witter flange towbar - fortunately I did not have to drill anything to get access.

One of the fussy parts was dropping the back exhaust box to get us access to one of the holes we needed but a bit of jiggling and wd40 and we managed it!

The guy who helped me was a mechanic so we zipped off the bumper & bumper bar (you reuse some bolts from this), cut the bumper first then partially constructed the towbar and started with the bolts and brackets... sounds easy enough but i do recall a couple of sweary words!!

good luck- and I wish i had the auto electrician as had to remove the boot panels to get into the loom.!! also- there is no easy way to get the cable into the engine bay from the dashboard - I tried for 2 hours and even put a post on here. I routed the wire to the passenger seat, lifted the carpet and fed it through a hole in the floor and put plenty elec tape round it- then it slipped nicely inside the sill trim and i routed it up through the wheel arch and into the engine bay. took the arch liners off and put it inside that!!

let us know how you get on mate

Thanks Scott, that's encouraging! Did you have to drill anything, that's what concerns me a little, or is it just a case of swapping over the bumper bars?

I have a friend who is auto electrician so going to get him to wire up the socket, just want to save some £££ on the actual fitting.

Is your witter a flange/swan neck/removable towbar?

Regards

Simon